Throttle Stop

37 replies to this topic
  • luksdad

Posted September 13, 2003 - 11:16 AM

Can some one walk me through installing the YZ throttle stop? I bought the shorter one but there are no instructions on off-road.com (ie what side, take off seat. etc)

:)

• tctrailrider

Posted September 13, 2003 - 11:34 AM

Luksdad,
Its on the right side of the carb. Remove the black plastic cover that sheilds the throttle cable linkage and you will see it in there. I think you will have to remove the carb to get to it. This also means removing the seat and tank.

• Fryboy

Posted September 13, 2003 - 12:07 PM

Luksdad,
Its on the right side of the carb. Remove the black plastic cover that sheilds the throttle cable linkage and you will see it in there. I think you will have to remove the carb to get to it. This also means removing the seat and tank.

I didn't have to remove my tank, seat, or my carb. If you can get a small enough allen wrench down there you shouldn't either.

Good Luck !

Fryboy

• luksdad

Posted September 15, 2003 - 05:03 PM

Hey thanks!

I have the JD jets. How hard are they to install? I am kinda waitin for the 6 month warranty to pass.

DP

• luksdad

Posted September 15, 2003 - 05:20 PM

Thanks man!

I have about 50 miles on the beast so I will do this in the spring. I have the JD jets. How hard are they. I am all for doing my own stuff, but want to ride to ride it right after....;-)

Also, where did you get the magnetic oil drain plug... I am big on fluid changes...

Also, after being wide open in 5th...is it normal to not want to go back into 1st....even at a stop??

I does....just not easily!

Dave P

• GrahamO

Posted September 15, 2003 - 06:24 PM

If you're slow the JD kit will take you 2 hours MAX to install. The throttle stop should take less. Why wait until spring?

• tctrailrider

Posted September 15, 2003 - 06:49 PM

Luksdad,
Thats right, why wait for spring. Wait on the jetting but the WR Throttle Stop only lets you go to 1/2 throttle. The second half is where the fun is.

• MOmilkman

Posted September 16, 2003 - 05:36 AM

LukesDad,
FYI (in case you havent found it yet

Posted Image

• ckulzer

Posted September 16, 2003 - 08:00 AM

luksdad,
Where did you get the warranty timeline?

Yamaha only has a 30 day warranty on the wr450. When I asked my dealer about the length of the warranty, they did not know so we looked on the sales brochure. It states 30 days. So does the service manual that comes with the bike.

As for the throttle stop, you are missing out on the best part of the WR.

Pull your panties up, install the YZ throttle stop, and start twisting!

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

• luksdad

Posted September 16, 2003 - 05:58 PM

Ok man!

The leather thong speedo is coming off! let do the throttle and roll.......right after the Hurricane goes by!

will make for some good mud though!

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • luksdad

Posted September 16, 2003 - 06:01 PM

very cool man!

can you zoom out alittle so i can get a better look....

i am divin in head first

lets roll :)

• MOmilkman

Posted September 17, 2003 - 06:10 AM

Luksdad,

Check out the picture again (in my previous post). I circled the throttle stop.

• oldbones

Posted September 17, 2003 - 06:45 AM

If I tried to ride my bike now with a WR stopper in it, I would fall over the bars and grind my teeth on the front tire! Trust me on this one, you gotta do it. It is not gonna turn your bike into a fire breathing dragon, just make sure you know where you're going before you wick it! Oh, and lean forward!

You've heard the saying, "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Same think here, fast bike won't hurt you, that doesn't mean you can't hurt yourself! :)

• luksdad

Posted September 17, 2003 - 05:22 PM

Dude..you rock!

I let you know if I land on my back :-)

Dave P :)

• luksdad

Posted September 17, 2003 - 05:24 PM

I'm with ya......

gonna change it out tomorrow during the Hurricane

might even do a lap in it!! yikes!!

• luksdad

Posted September 19, 2003 - 05:27 PM

hey man!~

Is it the silver cover on the right side of the carb held in by two bolts? I dont see any black cover....but I will take this off :)

• Beta_Man

Posted September 19, 2003 - 07:12 PM

thats the one they changed it for 2003 it use to be a black plastic cover. Then just twist the throttle and you will see the bolt that is stoping the throttle from opening all the way. :)

• wrooster

Posted September 20, 2003 - 04:37 AM

there are much better pictures and a description of the process
here in the YZ/WR250F FAQ:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

more pictures are in the the links at the bottom of that page:
http://www.micapeak....c/throttle.html
http://losdos.dyndns...r-throttlestop/

although the FAQ addresses mainly the 250F bikes, many of the
hints/tips/tricks/mods crossover to the YZ/WR4xxF bikes as well.
note however that i *believe* that the cut down throttle stop
length on the 4xxF bikes differs from the 250F.

and yes, the cover for the 2003 bikes is grey, not black.

ps the main page of the YZ/WR250F FAQ is here:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• luksdad

Posted September 20, 2003 - 05:57 PM

I just spent an hour reading the tale.... and digesting several malted beverages. spectacular!!!!!

Many thanks!

Are there any rides in the VA, MD, WVA area? Any that involve kids that you know of?

• John_H

Posted September 21, 2003 - 11:42 PM

Luksdad,
Don't know if you did the JD kit yet, but I posted some pics of the needle install on the jetting forum.

CLICK HERE

The jets are pretty easy too. I'll send some pics if you need them. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.