VIN # check.. woodruff key

3 replies to this topic
  • Valkman

Posted September 13, 2003 - 08:29 AM

Hey all, I bought a 2003 WR450F last week. I checked the # on the neck (JYACJ0432A002941). Which #'s am I wanting to check for the key failure???? Any help would be great. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 14, 2003 - 06:55 AM

No direct correlation. We tried to track it and it seems that you have to ride it and see if it fails. Many here have not touched their bikes and they have significant miles on them. Your key will brake in the first few hundred miles if the crank taper and flywheel taper do not match very well. I would take a tow strap or ride in a small off road park until the first few hundred miles are under it. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted September 14, 2003 - 07:08 AM

I was going to do the modification that Yamaha recomends until I thought about it.

Lapping hardened surfaces removes squat. Then they want you to glue it back together.

I removed the access plug and used a torque wrench on the flywheel nut. Then I went riding.

• endurodog

Posted September 14, 2003 - 07:35 AM

Now I took off the rotor nut, locktited it and retorqed. No problems so far with over 2000, miles. Like Indy said its kinda hit and miss if your tapers are matched good no problem.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.