Aftermarket Kickstart Lever assy?

7 replies to this topic
  • ArcticWR400

Posted September 04, 2011 - 03:37 PM

I haven't been able to find anything by searching the forums or by google... I may be in need of a new kick-start lever assembly. The o-ring in mine where it rotates to tuck in next to the bike is toast, pieces of it are falling out and when I took it out to try and disassemble and replace the oring... the screw that holds it together will only turn 1/8th to 1/4 of a turn. Yamaha's part list shows the cost at over $230 plus shipping. plus tax.

It rattles around is annoying me. Anyone know where I can find an aftermarket replacement at a better price?

any help appreciated. I'll go post pics if needed...

• brileyb

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:54 AM

have you looked for a used one on ebay? There's tons of people who buy bikes and part them out on there

• BajaFool

Posted September 05, 2011 - 11:34 AM

I am assuming (always a bad idea) that you are talking about the Phillips head screw that goes through the Kick Starter Lever and not the Allen screw that attaches the entire assembly to the starter gear train.

If so, the answer is to remove the reluctant screw. A guy in Japan put in, you can take it out.

Put the entire assembly in a vise, heat the aluminum and use an impact gun or an impact screw driver (an absolutely essential tool in any motorcyclist's tool box). The worst case is that you have to drill it out. If so, take the entire assembly to a machinist and have a pro do it if you are nervous about trying to remove it yourself.

I would be amazed if there is an after market kick starter available for these motorcycles.

• ArcticWR400

Posted September 05, 2011 - 04:29 PM

I am assuming (always a bad idea) that you are talking about the Phillips head screw that goes through the Kick Starter Lever and not the Allen screw that attaches the entire assembly to the starter gear train.

If so, the answer is to remove the reluctant screw. A guy in Japan put in, you can take it out.

Put the entire assembly in a vise, heat the aluminum and use an impact gun or an impact screw driver (an absolutely essential tool in any motorcyclist's tool box). The worst case is that you have to drill it out. If so, take the entire assembly to a machinist and have a pro do it if you are nervous about trying to remove it yourself.

I would be amazed if there is an after market kick starter available for these motorcycles.

Yes, I'm talking about that philips head screw. The allen bolt that holds it on was no problem.

I was thinking about drilling it out... I don't have an impact gun or screw driver, and penetrating oil (I use MouseMilk) hasn't touched it. I wonder if I would even be able to get away with not using a YamaBrand o-ring... :) I'll try the torch and if that doesn't work then ill just risk drilling it out. what's the worst that could happen? lol... I'd have to replace it, and I'm halfway there already.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I should have thought of that myself... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted September 05, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Danger drilling. Kickstarter is aluminum, bolt steel. Your bit will want to walk from the steel into the soft aluminum.
Try lots of heat, liquid wrench and an impact first.

• ArcticWR400

Posted September 05, 2011 - 06:17 PM

noted. thanks man.

• Birdy426

Posted September 05, 2011 - 09:36 PM

http://www.pro-tecpe....com/mskick.htm

• zlathim

Posted September 07, 2011 - 12:10 PM

Used kickstart levers go for $80 - $100 on fleabay.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.