Exhaust pipes for YZ400F?

2 replies to this topic
  • mrstooge1

Posted June 26, 2001 - 02:18 AM

Does anyone know what the measurements of the best pipes are? In other words, what pipes work best, tapered or stepped? Straight diameter? What's the head pipe and silencer length? Does the pipe material play any type of significant role?

Also has anyone tried any aftermarket cams? What company and was there any dyno testing involved after the cams were installed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:55 AM

It depends. What works for one person may stink for another. The tapered headers increase low and mid range torque, but do nothing for the high. The oversize headers decrease the low end, but allows the bike to rev faster and harder in the upper rpms ranges. The silencers generally speaking are "all-around" pipes, unless it specifies otherwise. So a tapered header w/ stock silencer (what I run) will hit a little hard down low, will take away some of the mid-range hit (because the power is higher thus the hit or increase is less noticeable) and does absolutely nothing to the top end.

The same combo with an E-series silencer feels almost identical powerband wise, but there's a bit just more power everywhere. The power curve just moves up a notch.

Be realistic as to where you want the power.

Also remember $20 worth of needles and jets will increase power just as much as a pipe. Food for thought...

• mrstooge1

Posted June 26, 2001 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the input mcarp!

I also found huge gains in torque and hp in the middle and bottom by using a set of vernier cam gears and a set of cams. I just got it off the dyno today after adjusting the cam lobe centers to 108 exhaust and 106.5 intake. That change from stock improved the compression by 10 psi on a cold, dry engine. I'm not even sure if that is the optimum settings for the cams either, more time will tell. It improved the throttle response and low and midrange power by quite a bit, and didn't hurt the top at all. I'd put the power numbers up but, I want to make sure they are repeatable by doing some more testing first. Then some riding to make sure the increases are where they need to be in the rpm range.

Tony www.ciaysr.com

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.