Uncorked XR650R = Too Loud for California??

12 replies to this topic
  • Miker

Posted September 13, 2003 - 07:33 AM

I just got my first XR650R and it has the honda opened tip in the pipe. The person I bought it from also had the stock tip modified with the hole saw method. He said the one cut with the hole saw would pass the 96db level but the racing one from honda would not. Anybody know for sure?

• jeff_sj

Posted September 13, 2003 - 12:44 PM

Dunno. Heck I don't even know how/where to get my bike tested. I assume a ranger will find me eventually and write me a ticket. I have made my bike quieter- went from 12 disks to 6 (white bros pipe) and rejetted. But the xr650r is still loud (it ain't no freaking mini bike 250). No way I'm going down to 4 disks. Seems crazy they have the same sound standard for a 650 as they do for a 125...

• qadsan

Posted September 13, 2003 - 01:33 PM

I've heard people say their XR650R has passed with the HRC tip and I've also heard people say their bike didn't pass. If it does pass, I'm sure it wouldn't pass by much. There can also be differences in testing from one place to the next or from one tester to the next because I've also heard of people getting their bike tested and then having it re-tested several hours later at the same location by a different ranger and getting different results by up to 2 dba. Rangers are suppposed to use a type 1 sound level meter for accuracy and hold it at a 45 degree angle from your exhaust at a distance of exactly 20 inches from your exhaust tip while taking the reading. The surrounding area where the bike is being tested has to be clear of certain objects and meet certain requirements or else the results can be skewed. They'll check your sound level at an RPM that's about 1/2 of the maximum specified power, which in our case is at 3,250 RPM and that works to our advantage since our bike makes most of its power down low. The only way to know for sure if your bike will pass is to either use the stock tip or use an ultra quiet system or have your bike tested.

• larry650

Posted September 13, 2003 - 11:21 PM

just dont know for sure. A friend used the hole saw method and I remember it being quiter than the hrc unrestricted cap on my bike but not by alot. They both seemed quieter than the fmf megamax I had on a xr600. I put the Baja Designs baffle on my xr650 and its pretty effective soundwise. I only rode it up and down the alley but didnt notice much change in performance. A good thing.

• Freakboy

Posted September 15, 2003 - 12:37 PM

Jeff,

I've got a WB w/ 12 discs and it passes consistently at 96db. I can't remember what RPM they test at up here in WA but I know it aint that far from idle so it's more quiet than you think.

• redrider650r

Posted September 15, 2003 - 01:16 PM

I have tested my bike and it read 94 Db's. I was learning how to use these devices and my bike was a test dummy and passed several times at 94 Db by a few different people. This was at or around sea level, not quite sure if there is a difference of readings at different altitudes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jeff_sj

Posted September 15, 2003 - 06:59 PM

I would be stoked if I could 'legally' run 12 disks... I know it's loud when revved but if you're right, it wouldn't matter 'cause they won't make me rev it. Well, to be honest, I try to keep it quiet/stealthy because sometimes I sneak into some Santa Cruz mountains trails, where I used to ride legally, now they force me to break the law, heh. Thanks for the tip!

• SImon520

Posted September 15, 2003 - 08:52 PM

After I uncorked my BRP, I compared the exhaust sound very scientifically by revving my KTM 520 (with a decidedly non-CA legal exhaust) and comparing it to the BRP. I used the Mark 1 mod. 0 human eardrum, and thought the BRP uncorked wasn't too much quieter than the 101 decibels produced by the KTM.

Being that I had a 2 hour trip to Hungry Valley, the next day, and I didn't want to go home 'cos some ranger with a sound meter woud ruin my day, I looked around for a less restrictive baffle to use than the stocker. There was no way I was gonna weld the stocker back in.

I looked around, and found the best compromise would be the 2" hole saw itself. I'd basically destroyed it cutting out the stock insert, and it had enough holes in it to make it flow better than the stocker, so I turned it around and tack welded it into the muffler insert.

Bingo! Much quieter than uncorked, but still flows a hell of a lot more than the stock insert.

The next day, I got completely ignored by 3 different rangers who had pulled over groups of riders for checks.

This was my first ride on the BRP, so I had to go easy on the right grip, but I love the big pig!!!

SImon

'01 KTM 520- Precision Concepts suspension, waiting for 6 speeds...
'03 BRP- Eibach 12kg spring

• SImon520

Posted September 15, 2003 - 08:55 PM

After I uncorked my BRP, I compared the exhaust sound very scientifically by revving my KTM 520 (with a decidedly non-CA legal exhaust) and comparing it to the BRP. I used the Mark 1 mod. 0 human eardrum, and thought the BRP uncorked wasn't too much quieter than the 101 decibels produced by the KTM.

Being that I had a 2 hour trip to Hungry Valley, the next day, and I didn't want to go home 'cos some ranger with a sound meter woud ruin my day, I looked around for a less restrictive baffle to use than the stocker. There was no way I was gonna weld the stocker back in.

I looked around, and found the best compromise would be the 2" hole saw itself. I'd basically destroyed it cutting out the stock insert, and it had enough holes in it to make it flow better than the stocker, so I turned it around and tack welded it into the muffler insert.

Bingo! Much quieter than uncorked, but still flows a hell of a lot more than the stock insert.

The next day, I got completely ignored by 3 different rangers who had pulled over groups of riders for checks.

This was my first ride on the BRP, so I had to go easy on the right grip, but I love the big pig!!!

SImon

'01 KTM 520
'03 BRP

• jeff_sj

Posted September 16, 2003 - 10:40 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong- I'm assuming the 'Forest Police' would tell me the bike is too loud and give me a chance to fix it on the spot by removing some of the disks. But maybe they'll just write me a ticket? When I went to Hungry Valley the place was crawling with so many cops on bikes I was disgusted. Despite the nice riding, I haven't been back since. One of the goobers in a buttoned up uniform was trying to ride a KTM (pathetic riding skills) so when I rode by him, although I was afraid he'd write me a ticket for speeding, I revved my engine and he was so startled he almost fell off his bike. Guess Hungry Valley is a sign of things to come. Sad. :)

• Miker

Posted September 16, 2003 - 11:12 AM

Try the clamp thing you will love the versatility. :)

• jeff_sj

Posted September 16, 2003 - 11:34 AM

I might give that a try. I miss having Harley guys do a double take when I ride on the street. THUMP! BTW, raced another new Corvette yesterday. He wasn't so cocky when I was done with him... :)

• HairyScary

Posted September 16, 2003 - 10:57 PM

Some of the variability in the testing is most likely due to not getting the RPM the same from one ranger to the next, if I had to guess. When talking about whether the modified tip will pass, things get even more complex, since there are various "stages" to which one can modify the stock tip, ranging from "slightly more flow" to "HRC like flow". They are documented in the XR650R FAQ at teh PigPen.

http://www.xr650r.us

(hope I got that right - from memory)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.