Coolant Leak?

5 replies to this topic
  • cherrypicker7

Posted September 03, 2011 - 06:59 PM

My 05 WR450, has a distinct odor that I notice when it is running, I think that somehow some coolant is working it's way into the upper end of the engine, but I had a local shop do a pressure test on the radiator and the mechanic said that it held pressure. Nontheless, I have been losing some fluid from the overflow tank, not a significant amount. I did a search but wasn't able to find much information about what I might do about this. We have several aluminum block chevy engines and they all eat coolant, it doesn't seem to do much harm, there. Auto parts places sell some pellets to add to the radiator to seal up the leaks, and this was recommended to me by a retired GM engineer. ?????

Probably won't do much until this winter, but may take off the head and check for warpage, and replace the head gasket at the very least.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 03, 2011 - 07:50 PM

My 05 WR450, has a distinct odor that I notice when it is running, I think that somehow some coolant is working it's way into the upper end of the engine, but I had a local shop do a pressure test on the radiator and the mechanic said that it held pressure. Nontheless, I have been losing some fluid from the overflow tank, not a significant amount. I did a search but wasn't able to find much information about what I might do about this. We have several aluminum block chevy engines and they all eat coolant, it doesn't seem to do much harm, there. Auto parts places sell some pellets to add to the radiator to seal up the leaks, and this was recommended to me by a retired GM engineer. ?????

Probably won't do much until this winter, but may take off the head and check for warpage, and replace the head gasket at the very least.

Your local shop is clueless! You don't have a leaking radiator, so why would they pressure test it??!! Ridiculous.

You have a leak from the cooling jacket into the engine, and you are burning coolant. You probably have a blown head gasket, and even a warped head.

It shouldn't be running that hot...

• Sknight

Posted September 04, 2011 - 07:16 AM

First things first, I'd make sure you're not getting coolant into the oil, That can do serious damage throughout the engine. Check your oil and see if there's any signs of water, it'll look like muddy streaks.

Do you smell coolant only while riding, from the riding position or is the smell coming out of the exhaust? If you can smell it from the seat but not from the exhaust then you're not burning it it's seeping out somewhere hot. Just a little coolant makes a big smell when it's hot.

If it's coming out the exhaust then you're burning it. Head gasket most likely, possible crack or porosity. A little coolant dye will show that easily, also if you're burning any significant amount the cylinder will be clean as a whistle, the plug will be white and the top of the piston will look new.

Have you checked the weep hole at the bottom of the engine? The water pump is right next to the oil filter, on the underside is the weep hole. Mine only leaked when hot and would stink up the world. Just for giggles it passed a pressure test cold but when I replaced the seal it would leak like a sieve when hot.

GM has a product called seal tabs that are frankly the best stop leak I've ever seen. On a cooling system our size I'd just use one of the tabs in the pack. Especially handy on the Caddy aluminum engines.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cherrypicker7

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:38 AM

Ahhh, by pressurizing the radiator if there is a leak anywhere in the system, that would show a pressure drop, not necessarily indicating that the radiator is faulty. Think I'm going to rig up a pressure tester for the cylinder and see if there are any bubbles underneath the radiator cap. That should indicate a cylinder head leak.

• cherrypicker7

Posted September 04, 2011 - 09:42 AM

I'll check the weep hole, but don't think that is the problem. I'm not losing that much coolant, I'll recheck hoses, sent the radiator, suspect one, out and they said that it wasn't leaking. As far as I can tell it isn't running hot, will pull the plug and see if it looks to be burning lean. There isn't coolant in the transmission oil either.

• cherrypicker7

Posted September 04, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Pulled the plug, after removing the shrouds, the tank, the plug cap/ignition coil combo. I'm sure glad this thing doesn't foul plugs. The plug looked normal, brown/black, so I'm guessing I'm not getting coolant inside. Odor appears to be most obvious after running and shutting it down. Tightened each hose clamp a bit, observed some small green droplets coming out the end of one of the hoses, as if the integrity of the hose might have been compromised. Ran the engine with tank, seat and shrouds removed to see better. Began to suspect that the hose running from the radiator cap neck to the recovery tank may have a lead, doesn't appear to. I removed the AIS, and made my own plug by crimping and brazing the pipe immediately above the exhaust pipe, but that appeared to be sealed as well. If this continues, think I'll replace those hoses. Thanks for you help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.