Before and after - '01 YZ426

23 replies to this topic
  • jcm3

Posted September 07, 2011 - 07:54 PM

I was reading the thread from 04 and was wondering what did all the stuff cost ya today if you dont mind me asking.......going through my 426 in a month or so and wondering if it was worth the cost....?

I don't remember exactly what I paid, but you can find a top end kit on eBay (OEM) for about $188:

You can get the Hot Cams for about $245:

You can get a cam chain for under $50.

So, under $500 for a fresh top end, cams and cam chain. I didn't think I'd be able to afford a new one when I did, so I did those things, the front brake ss cable and pads, JD jet kit, new sprockets and chain, and graphics, and now have a very strong running 426. It sounds like alot, but that will hold it over for quite some time.

But, then I went out and got the 2011. :) lol

• sid_125_04

Posted September 08, 2011 - 02:57 AM

Yeh im sorry i didnt direct my question correctly i was talking about the 450 tank and plastics upgrade? Is it worth the cost?:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boosted2M6

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:46 AM

Yeh im sorry i didnt direct my question correctly i was talking about the 450 tank and plastics upgrade? Is it worth the cost?:)

The way I looked at it, I was already going to buy new plastics, graphics and seat for the 426, so getting everything for a 450 instead made the difference null.

I'm going off the top of my head here:

Brand new OEM Yamaha plastics kit was $120. Tank was $50, got the subframe, airbox and rear master for $80. Everything was purchased through eBay. SDG complete seat was $100, from RockMtn I believe. I just made the tank brackets - super easy - cost 10 bucks.

Total was about $350 - I ended up selling my old tank for $75, which offset the cost some as well. It definitely helped with the overall feeling and handling for the bike, more than you would think. That, and the graphics selection is far better for the 450, seems to be a lot more out there.

I think it was worth it.

• Boosted2M6

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:59 AM

You'd never regret it.

I think you're right, I'm going to explore my options...

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.