Before and after - '01 YZ426

23 replies to this topic
  • Boosted2M6

Posted September 03, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Sitting at home bored, thought I'd share. Everyone likes pics right?

Before pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• umu24013

Posted September 03, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Great job! :)

• Yamiryder

Posted September 03, 2011 - 05:03 PM

did you just do plastic and graphics? looks good though:thumbsup:

• Boosted2M6

Posted September 03, 2011 - 05:25 PM

I did the 450 conversion with a few other things, and a lot of elbow grease :) I've only had the bike for a few months now, it's been a 10yr gap since I had my last bike (426). She's an old dinosaur, but I just had to get another one - I'll never get rid of this one tho :)

• Yamiryder

Posted September 03, 2011 - 05:31 PM

I did the 450 conversion with a few other things, and a lot of elbow grease :) I've only had the bike for a few months now, it's been a 10yr gap since I had my last bike (426). She's an old dinosaur, but I just had to get another one - I'll never get rid of this one tho :)

man, how did I miss that? I never even noticed the 450 shrouds and tank. My bad!

• sid_125_04

Posted September 03, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Looks fantastic great job nice clean look

• jcm3

Posted September 04, 2011 - 06:24 AM

I did the 450 conversion with a few other things, and a lot of elbow grease ;) I've only had the bike for a few months now, it's been a 10yr gap since I had my last bike (426). She's an old dinosaur, but I just had to get another one - I'll never get rid of this one tho :)

Looks awesome, congrats. Very clean, and nice work!:)

Did you have to straighten the subframe, or was it just the old rear fender that was offline? (the pic with the beer on it)

• Boosted2M6

Posted September 05, 2011 - 11:32 AM

I think that's just the angle of the camera playing tricks, it was straight.

Pretty good color match with the can tho :)

• Alan48

Posted September 05, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Nice job.Amazing what good looking graphics and a BL can do for a bike.Sharp looking green bike too.

• Yamaryder29

Posted September 05, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Awesome job man. Was it tough to fit the 450 tank and plastics?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boosted2M6

Posted September 05, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Thanks guys!

The swap was pretty easy, I just made the tank brackets out of flat stock. It's an old bike, but she's a beast... I thought it was worth it, was a cheap update anyhow :)

• motohess

Posted September 06, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Nice job! I miss my 426 too =(

• Yamaryder29

Posted September 06, 2011 - 04:03 PM

I just upgraded from my 426 to an 08 yz450f and looooove it

• zaxcar1

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:08 PM

that is just to cool.

• Boosted2M6

Posted September 07, 2011 - 01:32 AM

I just upgraded from my 426 to an 08 yz450f and looooove it

That's funny, I just started thinking yesterday about selling it for an 08.

I know I would love the new bike, but I know how solid this thing is and just don't want to regret getting rid of it... :)

• jcm3

Posted September 07, 2011 - 10:15 AM

That's funny, I just started thinking yesterday about selling it for an 08.

I know I would love the new bike, but I know how solid this thing is and just don't want to regret getting rid of it... :)

You don't have my issue (stupid Green sticker thing in CA), but I'll keep my 2001 YZ426 also so that on the rare time that I do want to go trail riding with other people, I can.

I'm going to bring both to the track on Friday, and ride them back to back. I have a feeling that, being more of a novice level rider, that I probably won't feel the difference that a better rider would.

I LOVE the difference in suspension on the new one, and of course, it is lighter as well.

I was suprised how different the 426 felt when I rode them back to back at a different track a few weeks ago, but it was a track I was riding for the first time, and was really dry and hard. So, I didn't push too hard.

The throttle snap off the bottom is also quite a bit harder. I always read that the 426's had a lot of bottom end, but the new one hits quite a bit harder. (the 426 is also modified with exhaust, both hot cams, JD jet kit, and has a new top end)

• Boosted2M6

Posted September 07, 2011 - 11:50 AM

You don't have my issue (stupid Green sticker thing in CA), but I'll keep my 2001 YZ426 also so that on the rare time that I do want to go trail riding with other people, I can.

I'm going to bring both to the track on Friday, and ride them back to back. I have a feeling that, being more of a novice level rider, that I probably won't feel the difference that a better rider would.

I LOVE the difference in suspension on the new one, and of course, it is lighter as well.

I was suprised how different the 426 felt when I rode them back to back at a different track a few weeks ago, but it was a track I was riding for the first time, and was really dry and hard. So, I didn't push too hard.

The throttle snap off the bottom is also quite a bit harder. I always read that the 426's had a lot of bottom end, but the new one hits quite a bit harder. (the 426 is also modified with exhaust, both hot cams, JD jet kit, and has a new top end)

Let me know what you come up with on Friday. I would mainly get the new bike just for the suspension/handling. I'm fine with the 426's power, but I also wouldn't complain if I had some more umph down there either.

I do a lot (majority) of my riding in the woods and climbing hills. With the 51 tooth sprocket and a few clicks to the softer side, I really don't have any complaints with my current setup. It's just that every time I get on a newer bike, it feels so much more nimble, and makes me consider selling mine.

I'm no pro either, but the occasions I do hit the track, I feel the newer bike would help me for the better a bit - it's either that or I gotta step up my game on the 426, it just feels like a tank :)

• Yamaryder29

Posted September 07, 2011 - 01:14 PM

I know what you mean. I went from riding the 426 at the track to riding the 450. The 450 feels like a feather compared to the tank of the 426. my 08 weighs as much as the 05 250f with tons more power. The handling and feel is incredible. You'd never regret it.

• TNE

Posted September 07, 2011 - 04:28 PM

sweet

• sid_125_04

Posted September 07, 2011 - 05:47 PM

I was reading the thread from 04 and was wondering what did all the stuff cost ya today if you dont mind me asking.......going through my 426 in a month or so and wondering if it was worth the cost....?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.