2004 YZ450 Engine / Coolant issue

2 replies to this topic
  • Bill_R

Posted September 02, 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hi all

I am new to the forum, but based on what I see, this may be the place to get some advice on an issue I have.

I picked up a 2004 YZ450F that has been sitting for many years. I got it home and managed to get it started, but it was getting coolant in the oil. Most people advised that it was the seals in the water pump. So I had the complete water pump rebuilt (seals, bearing, shaft everything). The shaft had some pits in it from sitting in the coolant for many years. Got it running again, and it was running real bad, so I had the entire carb rebuild. Now it was running strong, but had a faint smell of burnt coolant. Just to be sure, I drained the oil to get it cleaned out, and there was coolant in the oil again. So now I had the head pulled and put a new head gasket in. Started it up again, and same deal. Coolant in oil and smells like it was burning some off.

So now the shop is thinking some or all the transfer seals on the lower casing may have dried and are leaking. Does anyone have any ideas on how to narrow this down? What else it could be?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Edited by Bill_R, September 02, 2011 - 10:34 AM.
Error

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2011 - 01:56 PM

The water pump seals cannot be at fault.

http://www.thumperta...d.php?p=9778557

• Bill_R

Posted September 06, 2011 - 05:32 AM

Everything has been checked other than the lower gasket and crankcase seal. I am going to have the head and cylinder pulled this week to have them magnafluxed. If that all passes I will replace the rest of the gaskets / seals. I will post a reply if we are able to find the issue.

Thanks

Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.