Interchangeable Linkage Years?

11 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted August 31, 2011 - 06:03 PM

I need to replace my linkage (boomerang shaped part, not the "U" shaped part) on my 2006 WR450. I was trying to press out the bearings and it squished the part instead. I am supposed to be loading up bikes tomorrow and heading out of town to ride for the long weekend on Friday so I need the part really soon. A local guy is parting out a 1998 WR400 and I want to know if his linkage will fit my bike. They are both steel frames so I am thinking there is some hope.

• ArcticWR400

Posted August 31, 2011 - 06:55 PM

Possible... but unlikely. The swingarm changed in 02 or 03, and so would the linkage have, likely. perhaps only slightly.... you may be able to jimmy-rig it and make it work for the week until you have the time to get a better part... ? Good luck.

• woods-rider

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Hmm, well I am going to meet him today and I'll have mine in hand so I can do a direct comparison. Crossing my fingers.

• woods-rider

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:23 AM

Anyone know if a 2003 WR250 linkage will fit my 2006 WR450?

• woods-rider

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Nobody?

• ArcticWR400

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:39 AM

Anyone know if a 2003 WR250 linkage will fit my 2006 WR450?

check the yamaha parts microfiche... manufacturers will always reuse multiple parts on between models to decrease manufacturing costs and increase compatibility across the product lines. Primarily to reduce THIER cost, because let's face it. Nobody is in the business to ride, to win, to make a great product that tons of people will enjoy. they are in it to make money. bottom line.

1998 wr400 linkage PN : ARM, RELAY, 5DH-2217A-00-00
2003 wr250 linkage PN : ARM, RELAY, 5NY-2217A-00-00
2006 wr450 linkage PN : ARM, RELAY, 1C3-2217A-00-00

All have different PN's, but while the 400 and the 250 PN's are similar, the 450 and the 250 appear most similar from the diagram, but still look slightly different. I hate bursting bubbles, but i don't think it will work. Doesn't mean it won't, i could be wrong. I frequently am in fact haha.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:41 AM

The 98 and 03 has different bushings and pivot pins than the newer ones. But if you took the entire rocker off with all internals it would fit the newer ones. As for the newer ones fitting the older ones, the pre 02 may not be a fit due to the lower shock mount bolt and nut.

• woods-rider

Posted September 01, 2011 - 10:45 AM

The 98 and 03 has different bushings and pivot pins than the newer ones. But if you took the entire rocker off with all internals it would fit the newer ones. As for the newer ones fitting the older ones, the pre 02 may not be a fit due to the lower shock mount bolt and nut.

YES!!! That is what I want to hear! I hope you are right. I will be betting all the bearings, bushings, seals etc with the rocker.

• woods-rider

Posted September 01, 2011 - 01:19 PM

So, I just picked up the 1998 WR400 linkage. The distance between holes in the rocker are all closer together than they are on the 2006 WR450, but the widths and hole diameters appear to be the same. What will the holes being closer do performance-wise (assuming it fits)? I am thinking that it may lower the rear of the bike a bit and maybe make the rear suspension act stiffer. I also just revalved the shock so it will be difficult for me to pinpoint what performance changes are due to which part change.

• ArcticWR400

Posted September 01, 2011 - 07:24 PM

What will the holes being closer do performance-wise (assuming it fits)? I am thinking that it may lower the rear of the bike a bit and maybe make the rear suspension act stiffer.

one way to find out... let us all know how it goes!:)

• woods-rider

Posted September 01, 2011 - 09:25 PM

It fit like it was made for the bike. Next week I'll report on how it feels.

• woods-rider

Posted September 07, 2011 - 06:20 AM

The linkage felt fine and had no problems with it all weekend. As I said earlier, I had just revalved my shock so I can't really pinpoint where the change in feeling of the rear suspension came from. The area I rode at (Devil's Backbone in Washington) is 100% singletrack and full of rocks and roots and braking bumps (probably the roughest area I have ever ridden). It was my first time riding here so I can't really compare the feeling of the suspension to the stock suspension I had before. It felt like it could have been more plush, but I was using most of the stroke in both the forks and shock after taking three clicks softer on the shock low speed compression. I will have to give it a more fair evaluation after riding in an area I am more familiar with.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.