drive chain cleaning

9 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 25, 2001 - 06:40 AM

What do you all use to clean the drive chain? The book recommends kerosene, but it's hard to find here. I tried "purple power" degreaser from discount autoparts and after soaking in it for 10 min the old grease was "mostly" disolved, but there were still some chunks here and there. I do use Maxima Chain Wax which may be part of the problem (does anyone know if this stuff disolves well in degreaser?). Are there any recommendations for something better?

• eBayThumper

Posted June 25, 2001 - 11:40 AM

If you're talking about the stock pos chain, I use regular old gas and then let dry and lube with chain lube (most brands are good). This may not be the perscribed method but it gets it clean...with a little toothbrushing. If you have a nice chain (sealed o-ring) then all you do is wash and wd40. The stock chain is junk anyway...just my opinion.

J

• Husker_Mike

Posted June 25, 2001 - 02:03 PM

Yes, eBay, it's not just your opinion that the stock chain is junk -- it's fact! Anyways sirthumpalot, after you replace the stock POS chain with something nice, clean it with a bit of WD40 and a wire brush (Warning, do not use a wire brush on O-Ring chains).

My drill for cleaning the chain is this, after washing my bike I immediately spray the chain with WD40 to get water out of the thing. I then take the wire brush to it and get all the lube, dirt, oil, track banners, etc. off it till it's nice and clean. I then lube it, and I, too, use Maxima Chain Wax and have had really good luck with the stuff.

Just my .02.

• MikeOK

Posted June 25, 2001 - 03:10 PM

sir- I got the best way ever to clean a chain (non O-ring, I'm not so sure if I'd do this to an O-ring). You spray it off with the hose or power sprayer first, then go kype your wife's little brush thing she uses in the ktchen, soak it with Dawn dish soap or anything that cuts grease, then have somebody spin your rear wheel while you scrub away. Be sure to spray oil all over it soon after and it works great. I've used a Renthal works chain for about eight months and have only had to tighten it after 3 races on average. Still on the stock sprockets on my '00 bought last June...

• mcarp

Posted June 25, 2001 - 08:30 PM

I use the "Grunge" brush. It has a 3 sided nylon brush arrangement that fits perfectly around a chain. It even has replaceable bristles. Generally just some water and WD-40 along with the brush does the trick. For serious mud/grit, some simple green or the like will work. Just spin the rear tire while holding the brush, it takes about 2 minutes for the chain to come out spotless. The brush is about $12.

I'm not real big on using gas or kerosene--volatile, bad for the environment and your skin. The spots they leave never come out of the lawn, driveway, etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted June 25, 2001 - 08:31 PM

Oh yeah, it's so easy that you actually use it and the chain will last MUCH longer if you scrub it after every ride. Again, it's a 2 minute job. Removing it is way too much work!

• Roostn67

Posted June 26, 2001 - 04:01 AM

Nylon Bristle brush, WD-40, and a shop wrag for my O-Ring chain. Hose with WD-40, hit it with the brush, wipe off with a rag, repeat.

Roostn

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:39 AM

You guys with the o-rings don't find that your sprockets wear out faster when you only use WD40 and no chain lube? Also how many rides do you get before they start to kink up on you?

• eBayThumper

Posted June 26, 2001 - 06:51 AM

I thought that the idea of an o-ring is that you don't need lube because it doesn't get inside anyway. The wd40 is mainly to keep it from rusting after washing...not really used as lubricant.

I think wd40 is a pretty lousy lubricant but it's great for prohibiting rust and as a mild solvent for cleaning parts...

just my .02

• emcdan

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:03 AM

pressure wash...quick spray of wd 40 to prohibit rust...wipe off...white lithuim spray lube...your chain will last forever and look show cool..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.