YZ426 Good or bad?

5 replies to this topic
  • MotoMan217

Posted June 25, 2001 - 12:33 AM

ive heard GREAT THINGS about the yz426 and ive heard real bad things. so i was wondering if you all could help me make a decision? should i get the yz426? it seems likes a good bike but i want to make sure im getting my moneys worth and a bike that will work great. Thanks for the help everyone

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 25, 2001 - 01:28 AM

I've had mine about 3 or 4 weeks now and so far I love it. Only had it on an MX track once.. in the mud.. but I had a great time. The power is wonderful. You can lug it through a corner in 2nd or third and then accelerate really hard without even using the clutch. I got along with the suspension too. I'm a long time off-roader but brand new to MX so some other people may have better feedback for you, but I personally am very glad that I got the 426 and I would buy it again given the chance to make the decision again.

• MrMXer

Posted June 25, 2001 - 02:00 AM

I am happy with my 426F. I have the option to ride just about any bike out there and choose to ride the 426F. The only bike that may be more fun is the 250F. I am an old time CR fan and the last good Honda in my opinion was the 96 CR250. (Which is the bike I rode until late 99 when I threw a leg over the 400F. The 426 is reliable, however, still not quite up to the level Honda is at in that department. (No opinion on Honda's new Thumper yet)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dhowell

Posted June 25, 2001 - 02:54 AM

I am in agreement with the others. I love my yz426. I got it in Feb. and have put some good hours in on both the track and the trails and I love it in both conditions. The only problem I have had with my bike was getting use to starting the thing. The first couple of rides I thought my leg was going to fall off. But, I have it down know and I can start it no problem. Other than that, no complaints.

• MXOldtimer

Posted June 25, 2001 - 04:28 AM

I've owned and raced my 426 in MX for over a year now. I've owned every color and almost every cc size out there and he 426 has been one of the best and one of the cheapest to operate bikes I've ever owned. Handles great for a big bore does want to push sometimes but all in all it handles great. Suspension is one of the best stock suspensions (for MX)I've ever owned off the show room floor for dailing in, it isnt perfect but pretty damn good. Power is soooooo sweet, I dont have to say another word. In a year I've only bought tires, chain & sprockets, and fork seals. The tank cracked buy Yammy replaced it for free and God as my witness, Im still racing on the "stock plug" I'm totally shocked,it doesnt miss a beat. Keep the oil changed and everything lubed and you'll have nothing to worry about. I'll tell anyone to buy a 426, I've got a Honda 450 on order and its not because of any problem with the 426 it just because I want to try another bike. If the CRF450 doesnt work out I'll be back to the 426 in a heartbeat.

• Glen_T

Posted June 26, 2001 - 07:20 PM

Great Power, Great Handling, A little heavy, but for my money, I'll have a Honda next time. Too many strange things going wrong with my bike and some of my friend's 00/426's. If you don't mind blown fork seals, clutch chatter, or broken gas tanks, the bike is great. For me there are too many oddball problems, and short of threats Yamaha is not too easy to deal with. My dealer is great though, but he doesn't make all the decisions. If he did, Yamaha would get my business again next time.

My .02

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.