kickstarter grinding noise while running?

2 replies to this topic
  • 4banger

Posted June 24, 2001 - 09:06 PM

I was riding the other day and I heard a slight grinding noise from the clutch side of the bike. I got off the bike and the noise was coming from the kickstarter shaft area. I barely moved the kickstarter back and the noise amplified tremendously. I tore the cover off at the shop and inspected the kickstarter spring. It looked fine and the spring was in the proper hole. Any ideas on this. When I put it back together, it still did made the noise.

Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 25, 2001 - 07:39 AM

Mark,

I've got a 99 WR that has had a similar problem. My kickstarter internals broke earlier this year and it required replacement of the crankcases. Check the "kickstarter stopper" assembly. That's the part that bolts onto the crankcase and retains the starter mechanism once it returns to the resting position. Mine had weakened the threads and pulled out of the case. It was making a ratcheting noise right before it gave up the ghost. If you catch it now, you may be able to fix it at little cost with the right kind of thread repair (NOT helicoil).

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 06-25-2001).]

• 4banger

Posted June 25, 2001 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Rich, I will look into that. This bike has been very frustrating. Every three rides or so the motor develops another problem. IE- cb key, timing chain, and now this. I hope this is the last of it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.