2011 YZ 450 street legal?

20 replies to this topic
  • telluridemx

Posted August 29, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Is it possible in any way to make a YZ 450 street legal in colorado? The dealership says no way. They said that a stator is not made for that year to be street legal.

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Yes, but no.

First, the dealer is correct; there is no provision for any auxiliary power in the race-only YZF electrical system.

Secondly, the Colorado DMV will ultimately have something to say about the whole thing, so you should start there, technical issues notwithstanding.

If you are determined to forge ahead (against my advice), read (all of it):

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=622555

• dalonar

Posted August 29, 2011 - 06:21 PM

i've put a headlight and tailight on my 2010, its fine even starting with the light on. Both are LED so have a very small power draw. blinkers wouldn't draw much more. In Kansas its as simple as getting an officer to sign off that its road legal, take it to the county office and get a reissued tag.

• YamaLink

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:16 AM

Nice!!! Any pics to share?

On a related note, the dog in my avatar is named Kansas. The owner rescued her from a puppy mill in, you guessed it, Kansas.

i've put a headlight and tailight on my 2010, its fine even starting with the light on. Both are LED so have a very small power draw. blinkers wouldn't draw much more. In Kansas its as simple as getting an officer to sign off that its road legal, take it to the county office and get a reissued tag.

• honda907

Posted August 30, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Is it possible in any way to make a YZ 450 street legal in colorado? The dealership says no way. They said that a stator is not made for that year to be street legal.

If your state is like PA, no you can't do it. Must have generation for a light to get the inspection sticker in PA. Forget about a YZ, at least an 08 or up. Been trying, can't find a stator. I have an 09 Yz that I kept when I got an 10 so that I could replace my 08 CRF DPed bike. After 5 months, I gave up and I just use the 09 as a practice/playbike.

Hondas are different, lots of options out there. I am thinking of getting another good used 08 and doing another, since I sold that bike originally to buy my 2010 Yamaha.

I have seen in England, there is a company that makes a 2010 YZ 450 into an enduro machine, but that was over there in a magazine. The bike was like 3000 pounds more in price than a KTM, so it wasn't cheap to make that ignition/lighting coil fit!!

• dalonar

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:03 PM

the 2010 can and will run lights, unlike the 09 and down. i'll go out to the garage and post pics of the light

• dalonar

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:22 PM

http://www.facebook....4ebdfe85&type=1

• niles

Posted August 31, 2011 - 12:09 AM

Man,that light looks sharp on your bike.

• dalonar

Posted August 31, 2011 - 04:17 AM

it does, and it works very well! I have a complete kit for i have it off for harescrambles and what not

• Toby259

Posted August 31, 2011 - 08:43 AM

looks awesome, did you have to relocate the CDI to get the headlight to fit?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dalonar

Posted August 31, 2011 - 02:53 PM

nope fits perfect, about 1/4" of clearence. The light is on a switch ( wouldn't have to be i never shut it off) and that's plugged into the tuner port with the neg grounded to the frame. The bike has change with it on or off while starting

• honda907

Posted August 31, 2011 - 03:59 PM

nope fits perfect, about 1/4" of clearence. The light is on a switch ( wouldn't have to be i never shut it off) and that's plugged into the tuner port with the neg grounded to the frame. The bike has change with it on or off while starting

So your saying with the EFI bike, I can run a headlight, tailight and turnsignal? I am very interested if this is true. In PA, we have to run a regular bulb. No led headlight to pass state inspection.

can you show me a schematic of how to do this? How many watts does the efi coil produce, and how much is needed by the engine management stuff?

• dalonar

Posted August 31, 2011 - 04:23 PM

So your saying with the EFI bike, I can run a headlight, tailight and turnsignal? I am very interested if this is true. In PA, we have to run a regular bulb. No led headlight to pass state inspection.

can you show me a schematic of how to do this? How many watts does the efi coil produce, and how much is needed by the engine management stuff?

110 watts is what the engine produces, I put a 35watt headlight on it kicked it over and it fired right up. I honestly don't know how much is "needed" but to make it legal you could put everything on a switch, start it. then turn it on.

Headlight 35 watts
blinker (should be able to do led) .25-.5 watts at most
tailight/brake (led) 1-2 watts?

you would have a 40 watt drain at most with 70 watts left over, im not sure what the FI needs maybe someone else can chime in.

• dalonar

Posted August 31, 2011 - 04:36 PM

enduro kit

Dot approved headlight

total price = $225

• magiksc

Posted August 31, 2011 - 05:25 PM

You just made my day! This helps out tons!

• dalonar

Posted August 31, 2011 - 05:37 PM

haha no problem, the best thing i ever did was buy this bike! i loved my 2008 but its so limited for what we ride. Now i can ride nights/roads/pretty much anywhere any time

• motoman808

Posted August 31, 2011 - 08:09 PM

how did you plug it in to tuner port ?

• Nick450X

Posted September 01, 2011 - 12:45 AM

pro racing in the u.k have lighting kits for the efi yzf450.
just plug and play and the kit does not use a led headlight
so its street legal.

• dalonar

Posted September 01, 2011 - 04:58 AM

how did you plug it in to tuner port ?

put a small spade connector on the light wire, push it into the tuner port. and seal it

• cowboyona426

Posted September 01, 2011 - 06:49 AM

This thread is not helping my thirst to find a lightly used 2010-2011 so I can have a plated YZ...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.