where to buy a yz engine

10 replies to this topic
  • jj-mo-14

Posted August 29, 2011 - 04:37 AM

So im looking to do a supermoto conversion, but i have limited funds. I have found an 06 yz 450 that has everything but an engine, so basically its just a rolling chassis. The guy has listed it for 1500$ which i think is a bit much actually so i would try and bring it down a few hundred (do you guys think that is reasonable?)...but obviously my problem is finding an engine...do any of you know where to get new yamaha engines?

i have looked around a bit and have found nothing. any advice would be great

thanks, justin

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2011 - 07:21 AM

There is no such thing as a complete new Yamaha engine except in a complete new Yamaha. You'll need to search for used ones. If the roller is really nice, and really complete, maybe $800.

Look at it this way: you know you can buy a running '06 for $2000-2500.

• KJ790

Posted August 29, 2011 - 07:25 AM

There are a couple companies on ebay that part out brand new bikes. A complete engine is normally in the $1500-2000 range from sellers like this. That's the only source of a complete new YZ engine that I know of.

• NewMexican

Posted August 29, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Check Craiglist, I saw one on the ABQ NM list the other day for like $1600...

• wags450

Posted August 29, 2011 - 10:19 AM

We bought one of these for my cousins trophy cart

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e0#ht_500wt_956

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj-mo-14

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I did come across those on ebay, it was selling for around 1500 $ (there were a couple of them)...i was hoping they would not be as expensive, but i think that is a pipe dream. There was also a 06 rmz 450 with a blown motor for 1500, the seller says there is still compression...i wonder if that would be a good buy, and rebuild it.

So far I am in favour of buying the rolling chassis, and putting in a new motor...i dont like used motors.

• shane1733

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:58 AM

Why not just look for a blown engine if you can find one and rebuild it yourself and have it rebuilt. I dont thionk it would be 1500 to have it professionally rebuilt

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2011 - 12:25 PM

$1500 for a roller and $1500 for an engine, and then you've got a bike you could buy running for $2200.

I must have missed something

I'd buy the roller to have a set of wheels and a second set of suspension components to monkey with, but not for $1500.

• jj-mo-14

Posted August 29, 2011 - 12:54 PM

$1500 for a roller and $1500 for an engine, and then you've got a bike you could buy running for $2200.

I must have missed something

I'd buy the roller to have a set of wheels and a second set of suspension components to monkey with, but not for $1500.

The difference is that i could have a used chassis with a brand new motor for around 3000$, instead of buying a whole new bike for a lot more. I think a brand new engine would be nice.

And up here in canada you cannot find any bike for 2200 worth buying, atleast not what I am looking for...decent bikes generally start selling at 3500$ and even then your definitely not getting anything quite like a brand new motor.

I dont entirely mind getting a blown motor and getting it entirely rebuilt, but i would think that would cost more than 800$, and I am not sure how the reliability would be liuke compared to a brand new motor...if anyone has experince with that and thinks its a good idea, let me know tho.

• niles

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:36 PM

I'd wait a bit,winters coming so people are going to be listing there bikes soon so they don't have to store them...You could save some cash just by exercising patience.

• NewMexican

Posted August 30, 2011 - 01:56 AM

The difference is that i could have a used chassis with a brand new motor for around 3000$, instead of buying a whole new bike for a lot more. I think a brand new engine would be nice.

And up here in canada you cannot find any bike for 2200 worth buying, atleast not what I am looking for...decent bikes generally start selling at 3500$ and even then your definitely not getting anything quite like a brand new motor.

I dont entirely mind getting a blown motor and getting it entirely rebuilt, but i would think that would cost more than 800$, and I am not sure how the reliability would be liuke compared to a brand new motor...if anyone has experince with that and thinks its a good idea, let me know tho.

If you rebuild it right could be $1000-2000 depending on head/valves. Just did complete bottom for $1k. Crank, mains, cylinder, top-end, gaskets, timing chain. Inspected everything else, it needs a clutch basket soon, but Im pushing that one a bit....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.