Electrical issues continue

2 replies to this topic
  • rockieman

Posted August 28, 2011 - 08:40 AM

I have an '07 450 that has been giving me fits of late. Replaced the OEM stator when I bought new with the Moose stator so I could light the bike. It failed and I re-installed the OEM stator, when I got the Moose rewound stator back I re-installed it. Early this season I had an issue with the bike cutting out, dying and restarting after it cooled. Without going through a complete diagnostic of the problem I pulled the Moose stator in favor of the OEM. The problem persisted with the OEM stator and ultimately led to the coil failing. I bought a used coil and the bike ran fine for about 20 hours with the original stator. During a ride last weekend the problem presented itself and it looks like the coil failed again. I bought another coil as well as another OEM stator, both used off eBay. When I got the items yesterday it appears the stator I bought was bad, the bike would not start due to not getting spark. The coil checked out, the primary coil output on the stator did not. I still have my original OEM stator and am hesitant to put it back on the bike despite it checking out fine with my multimeter. I have also since replaced the CDI and all the wiring between the stator, coil and CDI.
I really want to put this to rest and would like to replace the original stator with another used one.
Do I risk running my original stator with this new (used) coil? Or should I bite the bullet on yet another new (used) one? Have a long trip planned for next week and really don't want this issue to continue.
Thanks in advance for your input!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dalonar

Posted August 28, 2011 - 09:42 AM

a common term "used"

i think i'd go with new parts and forget about the problem

• rockieman

Posted August 28, 2011 - 09:46 AM

a common term "used"

i think i'd go with new parts and forget about the problem

Prefer not to spend $500 dollars to fix the problem.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.