Vin # on frame missing?

6 replies to this topic
  • SSchulz

Posted June 24, 2001 - 04:25 AM

Need some help here guys. Went to purchase a used 2001 YZ 426F from a private party in NC this weekend. Apparently some bikes come with titles and some do not, depending on the state? Apparently in NC all you need is a bill of sale? I went to write the VIN # off the frame on the bill of sale and it was gone. Should I assume this bike is stolen? I canceled the sale and told the person I could not purchase the bike until I could verify whether or not the bike was stolen or not. I was able to take the # off the engine case which was still there. Any idea on which way to proceed from here. If the bike is not stolen I would like to purchase it. If it is stolen I want to report this to the police. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• mcarp

Posted June 24, 2001 - 04:56 AM

Report it...Yamaha doesn't just omit VIN's just because it's heading for NC. It's hot, hot, hot....bust that SOB and hopefully the original owner will get his bike back

• kozmic

Posted June 25, 2001 - 08:26 AM

Missing? The VIN should be stamped into the frame (steering neck) right in the front (behind the front number plate). At least that's how it is on my '01. Also the frame is painted blue just about everywhere. Was this where you checked? Was it filed/sanded/damaged? If that's not where you looked, check there. If the VIN isn't there I say report it today!

-jason s.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 25, 2001 - 12:37 PM

It should definitely have a vin! If you can determine that it's stolen then see if the poliece will work with you and go back with you to the guy. Tell him you want to buy it (so he doesn't hide it or get rid of it) and bring a cop along. Theft makes my blood boil, hopefully if it's stolen you can help to catch this guy.

• Ecnaltec

Posted June 25, 2001 - 12:58 PM

I have had to replace a couple of frames in the past on my '95 YZ125 and '99 RM250. Each of these frames had no VIN stamped on them. Are you sure that the frame wasn't just replaced? Here in California, after buying a new frame you take your bike to the Highway Patrol, with the bill of sale for the frame, and they assign a new VIN to your bike. Find out the sellers' story before you involve the cops', not everyone is a crook...

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 25, 2001 - 01:49 PM

Ecnaltec you have a good point. I was not aware that new frames would arrive minus the VIN, I figured each would have a new VIN.

SSchulz please be sure to let us know what you find out!

• SSchulz

Posted June 25, 2001 - 05:06 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
Ecnaltec you have a good point. I was not aware that new frames would arrive minus the VIN, I figured each would have a new VIN.

SSchulz please be sure to let us know what you find out!

Thanks for all the info. guys. I will let you know what I find. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.