Clutch Not Disengaging When Hot

9 replies to this topic
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted August 26, 2011 - 04:29 PM

I have an 06 YZ450 (new to me this spring), I had to put a new clutch basket and boss because they were grooved, I went ahead and replaced the clutches (aftermarket) while I was at it. I noticed right away that I could not get the free play adjusted properly without adjusting the cable all the way out. I thought it was stretched cable so I replaced, same problem. After doing some reading I figured it was just the new clutch discs were a little thicker than OEM and did not worry about it too much.

Here is the problem, when I am really working the clutch hard in steep, slow, tight technical stuff it acts like the cable is stretching; clutch lever all the way in and the clutch won't disengage. If I let the bike sit for a minute or so or keep riding and just not use the clutch it starts working normally. I even tried adjusting all the free play out and had the same problem. :)

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks,
Rob

• nighthawk18

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Im having a similar problem with my 07 450f. but mine has the problem when its cold or hot. No matter how much i adjust the clutch and pull the lever if im riding around and try to stop while in gear and the clutch pulled all the way to the bar the clutch drags on the engine and if i dont blip the throttle it kills it. Im thinking its the basket because the inner hub and plates are in great shape but there are some grooves in the basket. I dont know and id like to be 100% sure before i drop a couple hundred bucks.

• sneek24

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Im having the same issue also. I though it was the basket though. But since you replaced the basket and its still doing it now im confused as well. lol.

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2011 - 08:11 PM

It's your bargain clutch plates expanding and warping excessively with heat.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:12 AM

It's your bargain clutch plates expanding and warping excessively with heat.

I was thinking it was something like that. I was on fence when I bought them but the reviews were generally good. Oh well lesson learned!

Thanks,
Rob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:44 AM

I am going to replace the clutches with OEM, anything I should be looking at/replacing while I am at it?

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:37 AM

Springs. Check the spec in the manual and be sure they are all 6 pretty uniform lengths.

If you reuse the steel plates check them for being flat by laying them on a piece of glass. Check for bending and dishing.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted September 05, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Well, OEM clutches installed and took it out today. The problem is not as bad but it is definitely still there. Now there is a weird noise that is going along with it. It only happens when it is a steep, rocky, hill climb and I need to feather the clutch for a period of time.

I did not replace the pressure plate, is it likely that is what is warping with the temperature?

• todds924

Posted September 06, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Well, OEM clutches installed and took it out today. The problem is not as bad but it is definitely still there. Now there is a weird noise that is going along with it. It only happens when it is a steep, rocky, hill climb and I need to feather the clutch for a period of time.

I did not replace the pressure plate, is it likely that is what is warping with the temperature?

Overtightening the clutch hub nut will cause it to not disengage.
Especially when hot

• Slow and Jerky

Posted September 07, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Do you mean the big one that holds the basket and all that in place?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.