TwinAir Powerflow on 2010-2011 YZ450f's

11 replies to this topic
  • geshields

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:52 AM

I have gotten a few PM's asking about the TwinAir filter on my bike so I thought I would post up a mini review for everyone.

The install was fairly straightforward other than the instructions that came in the box were in black and white. Color pictures definitely would be better. It took maybe 1 hour to complete the installation.

Overall, I like the setup better than stock. I do hear a little more engine noise at idle but do not notice it at all while riding. I really can't say I notice extra power from this mod alone. Throttle response is a little crisper.

My main reason for adding the airbox was maximum airflow. I bought my bike used and it already had the Factory 4.1 exhaust system installed. I then added a GYTR head and a high compression piston which could require the extra airflow.

Here are some pictures of it:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:00 PM

The base/seat for the filter at the bottom of the air box looks like it would be restrictive once the element is fit down around it. What am I missing?

• geshields

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:43 PM

The boot is the most restrictive part of the whole thing. The filter element is open on the bottom though.

• mxbrewski

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the info. I was interested in this also. Do you think it seals better and is easier to replace the filters?

• poliisi2

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:51 PM

When you clean your bike be carefully whit that cap its leaking water inside intake pretty easily. I use cleaning paper inside to be sure if its leak.
I notice in soft sand its pulls bit better than std filter if i land soft spot after jump. Good product for sure.

• ridleyredraider

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Oh, so that's where the air filter is! I've been looking for mine since March!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geshields

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:30 PM

When you clean your bike be carefully whit that cap its leaking water inside intake pretty easily. I use cleaning paper inside to be sure if its leak.
I notice in soft sand its pulls bit better than std filter if i land soft spot after jump. Good product for sure.

The cap did start to be loose after about 4-5 cleanings. Now I just put a couple of paper towels into the intake tract also to catch any water that bypasses the cap.

• geshields

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I was interested in this also. Do you think it seals better and is easier to replace the filters?

Wouldn't say it seals any better, but it is easier to change the filter...

• josh8811

Posted August 25, 2011 - 08:28 PM

that filter would certainly be more time consuming to clean..

• jcm3

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:38 PM

A little off track, but how does it run with the new head? I'm sure it pulls quite a bit harder. :)

• geshields

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:22 AM

A little off track, but how does it run with the new head? I'm sure it pulls quite a bit harder. :)

The GYTR Head is amazing. I didn't want the raw "jerk my arms off" power and this delivers. It is smooth and keeps pulling. I hear a lot of folks with engine work complain that they get tired faster because they are having to manage the power. Not so with this head. Don't know that I would buy a new one for the price, but I got a good deal on a used one and am very happy with it. btw, 5 out of 6 holeshots so far can't be bad!

• jcm3

Posted August 28, 2011 - 10:53 AM

The GYTR Head is amazing. I didn't want the raw "jerk my arms off" power and this delivers. It is smooth and keeps pulling. I hear a lot of folks with engine work complain that they get tired faster because they are having to manage the power. Not so with this head. Don't know that I would buy a new one for the price, but I got a good deal on a used one and am very happy with it. btw, 5 out of 6 holeshots so far can't be bad!

Wow, awesome! Congrats. :)

I'd love to get one some day, but it would be for the same reason that I built a 500rwhp Mustang GT, not because I need it, but because it would be fun! I'd love to see what that feels like.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.