used 211

13 replies to this topic
  • rr558

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:16 AM

is it worth it to buy a used bike from reputable dealer with under 5 hrs. for 800.00 savings over new ?

• motohess

Posted August 25, 2011 - 10:46 AM

Depends on what the "new" price is. The dealer in Flint was about $1800 more then the dealer in Brighton out the door when I bought my 2011. First see what the lowest out the door price you can find is, then shoot them an offer at $1000 under your lowest price. Then it would be worth it :).

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:12 AM

It's a used bike, regardless, even if it was sold, and never taken off the premises. Should be sold at a used bike price, period.

• YamaLink

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:06 PM

5 hours use for $800 less? I'd pass. I know some riders who can get a whole heck of a lotta use in 5 hours. :)

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:13 PM

How are they going to prove that it only has 5 hours on it? Hour meters can be replaced or whatever to only show 5 hours of use.

It is a used bike, plane and simple. Go into it like any other used bike. No matter hwo good it looks, just figure that it has been ridden hard and will need some work to make it right.

• rr558

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yeah I think you guys are right better off with new as I'm not a big fan of used 4t's

• todds924

Posted August 25, 2011 - 07:10 PM

How are they going to prove that it only has 5 hours on it? Hour meters can be replaced or whatever to only show 5 hours of use.

It is a used bike, plane and simple. Go into it like any other used bike. No matter hwo good it looks, just figure that it has been ridden hard and will need some work to make it right.

You check....WITH THE TUNER....and see how many hours are on it.....so if the hour meter says 5 and you hook the tuner up and it says 45........... UHHHHHHHH?

But even the run time stored on the ECU can be erased.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jcm3

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:35 PM

But even the run time stored on the ECU can be erased.

That's the whole point. You don't know.

• Yamiryder

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Might as well buy new...or maybe a leftover?

• motojase316

Posted August 27, 2011 - 02:43 AM

5HRS of beach racing...

• Towelie

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Yeah I think you guys are right better off with new as I'm not a big fan of used 4t's

I'm not a fan of any used bikes anymore. But I will say my used thumpers were better deals and never had any problems and every 2 stroke I bought used blew in a month. Besides engines used bikes are not worth the cut in price cause there are still lots of rubber parts that get dried, chain, sprokets, spokes, exhaust packing, bearings, greasing, etc. I have found by the time you factor in truly going thru a bike to make it track worthy you might as well have bought new and saved yourself the money and hours.

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2011 - 09:02 AM

So far, I've never purchased a used bike that turned out badly. Not that you couldn't buy a lemon.

• todds924

Posted August 31, 2011 - 07:40 PM

So far, I've never purchased a used bike that turned out badly. Not that you couldn't buy a lemon.

Because you know what your looking at.

• todds924

Posted August 31, 2011 - 07:44 PM

That's the whole point. You don't know.

But if you had a tuner and checked...it would tell you something....But knowing what your looking at goes even furthur////its not hard to tell a bike with only 5 hours on it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.