98 yz 400 f suspension

12 replies to this topic
  • jeepguy74

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:07 AM

i have a 98 yz 400 and wondering if there is anyone out there that makes a lowering link for my bike?? seams that the rear suspension sits a bit too tall...or is there a easy way to lower it a little.....it just sits a little too tall for me

• jeepguy74

Posted September 07, 2011 - 08:43 PM

anyone???

• QuietFlight

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I cut my seat down. I'm exactly 5'7''+3/4 with my shocks topped and stiff settings. now i can plant both feet square as well as easily keep my arms in attack position (scres bar risers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• jeepguy74

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:32 PM

i thought about this but the seat is thin as hel as is and not sure if i wann make it more uncomfortable with less padding thats why i was looking for a lowering link...
the suspension has been gone through and is kinda stiff and tall

• QuietFlight

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:50 PM

if anything, by giving myself a wider part of the seat to sit on it has become more comfortable. All the padding you need is about an inch from the plastic.

it was quite thin at the apex and after i cut it changed to the width of the base of the seat. quite the nice change. keeps me forward while sitting as well.

• SC_lurker

Posted September 10, 2011 - 12:19 PM

I found this one while looking for a lowering link the other day. It looks to be well made but I have no experiance with it.
http://www.motorcycl...wering-link-yzf

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF100biker

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:02 AM

why do you need to flat foot it? when i started riding big bikes i never was able to flat foot my bike. if you're moving then you shouldn't be needing to touch the ground.

• QuietFlight

Posted September 11, 2011 - 05:53 AM

why do you need to flat foot it? when i started riding big bikes i never was able to flat foot my bike. if you're moving then you shouldn't be needing to touch the ground.

Not too much sand up in MASS?

helps when your heading down to have room to plant a leg and kick yourself back up.

being able to put both feet on the ground is not a plus?

• jeepguy74

Posted September 11, 2011 - 12:59 PM

helps when your heading down to have room to plant a leg and kick yourself back up.

being able to put both feet on the ground is not a plus?

yes this is exactly the reason i was getting at...
and trying to start the bike is a little tough when you can only tippytoe it

my buddy's crf 450 sits lower than this thing..but mine has alot os suspension work and sits a bit tall9gonna soften that up a little also

• CRF100biker

Posted September 11, 2011 - 01:21 PM

actually, we have mx338. so yeah, we've got plenty of sand. everything is sand here. very deep sand. sand like you wouldn't believe here in good ole' assachusetts. the other option is rocks, but that's if you're only climbing mountains.

all the fastest guys i see are too short to flat foot it. nothing seems to be stopping them? hard to kick over? find a whoop or tilt the bike on its side. 5'7" is definitely not too short to warrant any modifications i assure you as i was doing just fine at age 13 and height of 5'6" on my 400f. although now i'm 6'1", flat footing it got easier, riding got a lot harder.

hey, i'll give you some of my height! that way you can flat foot the bike and i can feel nimble again! everyone wins!

• jeepguy74

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:42 PM

lol
the suspension has been all gone through an d it sits real tall i just cant get enough muscle to kick the damn beast over unless i lean against tree and sometimes that isnt a option

• QuietFlight

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:40 PM

sometimes its just easier to do it standing while leaning it. could just get yourself a nice kickstand for it.

• hende

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:28 AM

On my 400f I was tip toe on it also. I lowered to where I thought was perfect for starting it and after one ride I raised her back up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.