01 WR 426 overheating

6 replies to this topic
  • mountain-powder-slut

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Maybe I am being picky, but my WR seems to be overheating too much for my liking.

I know it is a big bike and it needs to be opened up to let the water flow. However, I like to take tight technical trails and that means a lot of first gear and idling.

My bike seems to be really overheat fast when it idles. I spent the last 7 days with my sons camping and riding. We went up to some remote mountain lakes. I don't like my bike overheating so far up in the back country, especially when I have 2 boys with me.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks! :)

• miweber929

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:01 AM

Can you elaborate on "overheating"? You mean gets hot, boils out all the coolant, seems hot, etc.?

There should be a catch tank in the WR so you shouldn't loose any coolant really that can't be recovered by the system. If you are boiling it out you can try aftermarket radiators that hold more fluid (do a search, lots of options), and/or install a cooling fan (which has also been covered 1000 times so search). There are also coolant additives that can raise the boiling point a bit.

Honestly, if the bike is moving you shouldn't be overheating under normal circumstances so I'd be looking a bit at your waterpump and system to see if you maybe have issues. Now having said that, if your radiators are caked with dried mud, bent, smashed, etc., your coolant is old and worn and you are not using a good, clean synthetic motor oil you can have issues as well.

Little more specific info will help in deciding where to go.

Mike

• mountain-powder-slut

Posted August 25, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Can you elaborate on "overheating"? You mean gets hot, boils out all the coolant, seems hot, etc.?

There should be a catch tank in the WR so you shouldn't loose any coolant really that can't be recovered by the system. If you are boiling it out you can try aftermarket radiators that hold more fluid (do a search, lots of options), and/or install a cooling fan (which has also been covered 1000 times so search). There are also coolant additives that can raise the boiling point a bit.

Honestly, if the bike is moving you shouldn't be overheating under normal circumstances so I'd be looking a bit at your waterpump and system to see if you maybe have issues. Now having said that, if your radiators are caked with dried mud, bent, smashed, etc., your coolant is old and worn and you are not using a good, clean synthetic motor oil you can have issues as well.

Little more specific info will help in deciding where to go.

Mike

Thanks for your response Mike. I will do a search on cooling fans and radiators...thanks. It is boiling out the coolant. Ya that is why I am concerned....it seems even when the bike is moving (at low speed however) it overheats. I stop and shut it off and I hear it boiling and see coolant coming out the overflow tubes.

The radiator isn't caked with mud and it didn't seem too bent up...I will look at that again. The motor oil is good clean synthetic.

Do these bikes have thermostats? Maybe take it out if it does?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted August 25, 2011 - 10:48 PM

No thermostat. Are you boiling coolant out the overflow tank...or just into it? Does the coolant "recover" back into the radiators as things cool down? If it's boiling out of the catch tank and/or not recovering coolant back into the rads, it could be a blown head gasket. If it is recovering as it cools, might be a bad radiator cap that breaks at too low a pressure.

• mountain-powder-slut

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:04 PM

No thermostat. Are you boiling coolant out the overflow tank...or just into it? Does the coolant "recover" back into the radiators as things cool down? If it's boiling out of the catch tank and/or not recovering coolant back into the rads, it could be a blown head gasket. If it is recovering as it cools, might be a bad radiator cap that breaks at too low a pressure.

It boils into the overflow tank and then out of the overflow tank at times. Yes the coolant recovers back into the radiator when it cools down.

I really don't think it is a head gasket, but I could be wrong....it does ok when I am riding at lower elevations. On this ride I was at 7000 - 9000 ft....so the boiling point was a lot higher than where I live....4700 ft. However, I do remember letting it idle for a bit at home and it started boiling.

• ArcticWR400

Posted August 26, 2011 - 07:29 AM

is it still running on the lean stock jetting?

Have you opened the airbox and/or put a different exhaust on it without rejetting?

I would think you would see other symptoms besides overheating, but lean jetting might be your issue... something to look at.

• mountain-powder-slut

Posted August 26, 2011 - 07:58 AM

is it still running on the lean stock jetting?

Have you opened the airbox and/or put a different exhaust on it without rejetting?

I would think you would see other symptoms besides overheating, but lean jetting might be your issue... something to look at.

Well I bought the bike used and it had an aftermarket exhaust and the airbox was opened....he told me he jetted it accordingly....I will get in there and look to see what jets are in there....thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.