97 cr500 jetting questions

9 replies to this topic
  • fusebox

Posted August 23, 2011 - 11:54 PM

watz up?? new to this site with this 1st post. just bought a 97 cr500 and wanted to get carb dialed in. 1500 ft, 60-75 deg. temp. dont know about any engine mods except boyson reeds and a fmf turbine core 2 sparkarestor. stock pipe. opened up carb and surprised to find a 185 main jet, stock slow, and stock needle at clip 4 position. wanted to start from stock and do it rite. put in the stock 170 and worked from there, soon I had worked my way slowly back up to a 180 main, stock slow, and stock needle at clip 3 position. now runs great, low to high. my question is why would the main jet be so far from stock to run it correctly? is 140 psi compression OK? also doesnt want to idle a bit without a very little tension on the cable. tried the choke-idle speed and air screw with no results at all. But sounds great with slack taken out of the cable...this makes it rideable but is not right. carb has been gutted twice looking for problems...looked great, also no air leaks at intake. was headed for the reeds now but decided to ask a little advice. might bad crank seals be the problem and how would that be checked? sure would appreciate some other ideas on this problem or problems! I have seen good advice from this site and hope I can contribute and collect knowledge. thanks all. Tigard OR:banghead:

• thestuz

Posted August 24, 2011 - 02:49 AM

cr500riders.com

• Johnnymannen

Posted August 24, 2011 - 03:58 AM

watz up?? new to this site with this 1st post. just bought a 97 cr500 and wanted to get carb dialed in. 1500 ft, 60-75 deg. temp. dont know about any engine mods except boyson reeds and a fmf turbine core 2 sparkarestor. stock pipe. opened up carb and surprised to find a 185 main jet, stock slow, and stock needle at clip 4 position. wanted to start from stock and do it rite. put in the stock 170 and worked from there, soon I had worked my way slowly back up to a 180 main, stock slow, and stock needle at clip 3 position. now runs great, low to high. my question is why would the main jet be so far from stock to run it correctly? is 140 psi compression OK? also doesnt want to idle a bit without a very little tension on the cable. tried the choke-idle speed and air screw with no results at all. But sounds great with slack taken out of the cable...this makes it rideable but is not right. carb has been gutted twice looking for problems...looked great, also no air leaks at intake. was headed for the reeds now but decided to ask a little advice. might bad crank seals be the problem and how would that be checked? sure would appreciate some other ideas on this problem or problems! I have seen good advice from this site and hope I can contribute and collect knowledge. thanks all. Tigard OR:banghead:

Hello! Dump the standard carb and get a Keihin PWK! mine didn,t want to idle either. Mine is ported with different head and exhaust so i bought a Keihin PWK 41,5mm instead. Still working with needles to get optimal jetting though=). Otherwise very good with real idle adjustment and better topend power. Starts very easy too.

Johnny

• qkenuf4u

Posted August 24, 2011 - 06:17 AM

yep the stock PJ carb is a BIATCH for most people when it comes to idling... as stated jump up to a PWK and idle away .....

140 psi is on the low side.. top end time soon (this winter) ... did you hold the throttle wide open while kicking ?

i cant see it needing a 180main at 1500ft elevation..... im at 550ft and run
172m
45-48 pilot
1-1.5 turn out on screw
DGJ needle
PWK 38mm
im in arizona so its a LOT dryer here too....

• Johnnymannen

Posted August 24, 2011 - 11:24 PM

yep the stock PJ carb is a BIATCH for most people when it comes to idling... as stated jump up to a PWK and idle away .....

140 psi is on the low side.. top end time soon (this winter) ... did you hold the throttle wide open while kicking ?

i cant see it needing a 180main at 1500ft elevation..... im at 550ft and run
172m
45-48 pilot
1-1.5 turn out on screw
DGJ needle
PWK 38mm
im in arizona so its a LOT dryer here too....

Hello! What slide do you use? i have a #7 and my bike is erratic on light throttle so maybe a #6 is to prefer here in Sweden.

Johnny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qkenuf4u

Posted August 25, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hello! What slide do you use? i have a #7 and my bike is erratic on light throttle so maybe a #6 is to prefer here in Sweden.

Johnny

im pretty sure its a #6.... never played with the slide on mine......

• Johnnymannen

Posted August 25, 2011 - 08:18 AM

im pretty sure its a #6.... never played with the slide on mine......

Ok. yes, that,s the common one.I have a #5 that i will modify to try and see what happens.

Johnny

• fusebox

Posted October 07, 2011 - 08:45 PM

try a 7

• fusebox

Posted October 16, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hello! Dump the standard carb and get a Keihin PWK! mine didn,t want to idle either. Mine is ported with different head and exhaust so i bought a Keihin PWK 41,5mm instead. Still working with needles to get optimal jetting though=). Otherwise very good with real idle adjustment and better topend power. Starts very easy too.

Johnny

went from the stock pj for a 39mm pwk. this thing rocks now! ended up with a 185m, 55 slow, mid clip position, 1.5 turns air screw. you were rite, easier starting, better response, top and low end, and yes it idles very nicely now:thumbsup::thumbsup: thanks Johnny

• Johnnymannen

Posted October 17, 2011 - 12:25 AM

went from the stock pj for a 39mm pwk. this thing rocks now! ended up with a 185m, 55 slow, mid clip position, 1.5 turns air screw. you were rite, easier starting, better response, top and low end, and yes it idles very nicely now:thumbsup::thumbsup: thanks Johnny

Great! Nice to hear! I bought the JD jetting kit to try, and i can recommend it to you. That gives you the possibility to ten different needle settings and you get the most common jets also. It gives a strong but smooth powerdelivery if you can say that about a 500=). I still mess with my erratic light throttle running and i may try a #7 plug instead and see if that helps. It got worse with a#8,5 so maybe thar will help.

Johnny

Related Content

Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

1993 CR250 BUILD by spodeboy by spodeboy

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Anyone know what kind of lever this is by shatteredclutch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.