99 wr400 to 01 wr426 frame swap question

17 replies to this topic
  • Joshuatest

Posted August 23, 2011 - 06:16 PM

Ok... I did a days worth of searching and haven't found a for sure answer...

I have a 99 wr400 with no title... Already been down the road of trying to get it... No luck...

Found a 01 wr426 frame and title somewhat local (100 miles away).

Did some research... Here are some part numbers...

98 frame... 5BF-21101-00-P0
99 frame... 5GS-21101-00-P0
01 frame... 5NG-21101-00-P0
02 frame... 5NG-21101-50-P0

On ronayers site it recognizes the 21101-00 as the part number (or at least that's what comes up highlighted). What do the first 3 mean?

I've read I'm good up to 2002 when they made some bigger changes...

So... Anyone done this swap? What should I expect?

I'm planning to put everything from my 99 on the 01 frame... Any problem areas I should know about?

• Birdy426

Posted August 24, 2011 - 02:15 AM

Check part numbers for the swing arm bolt...if memory serves, the 00 and up 426 got a bigger diameter swing arm bolt. You can ream the hole in the 01 frame, but I'm not sure if the "pocket" for the bolt head is the same size for both...and you would need the 01 swing arm as well. Other than that, it should be a pretty simple swap.

• Joshuatest

Posted August 24, 2011 - 04:02 AM

I will pull those part numbers and check... I was thinking that 02 was the year I was reading got the bigger bolt...

Clarify something...

Wr400's were 98-99, and some early 2000???
Wr426's were 00- to when?
Wr450's were when?

I get confused about the years... Anyway.. I'll check that, thanks

• Joshuatest

Posted August 24, 2011 - 04:35 AM

Ok...

Pulled swing arm pivot bolt part numbers...

5DH-22141-00-00 for both 99 and 01 models...

I was gonna pull 02 also, just to help have the info in here for others... But I'm surfing on iPhone and it was acting up...

So... Assuming the swing arm change hadn't happened yet for 01, should I really be looking at the exact same frame?

• Joshuatest

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Well unless I find info telling me this is gonna be a pita... I'll be driving about 120 miles away fri morning and picking up the frame...

I will prob get it on stand Friday night and spend Saturday evening doing the swap... The plan is to do it all in a day... Ride it after to make sure everything is good

• Birdy426

Posted August 25, 2011 - 05:49 AM

I know 02's are different than 01s, but by mixing and matching parts from an 01 and an 02 bearing kit, you can fit 'em up. You may want to pick up the engine mount plates for lower fwd and head stay locations with the frame, just in case, but it sounds like you should be good to go.

As far as years, at least in the US, 400s were 98 and 99. 426's were 00, 01 and 02 (00s still had stainless valves instead of ti), and 03 and up are 450s.

• Joshuatest

Posted August 25, 2011 - 03:16 PM

When you speak of bearings, I'm assuming your talking about the swing arm pivot? I've read that to, but from 99-01, I should be ok there...

As for engine mounts... According to everything I've read, the 426 is a direct bolt in to a 400.. So my 400 should bolt into the 426 frame the same I hope...

The good thing... The place I'm buying the frame is a motorcycle salvage place / dealer. They have a 99 WR frame also. It only comes with bill of sale, but I should be able to sit them side by side before leaving and take a peak at may be different.

I'm really excited to finally get a title for my bike. I'm really hoping this works like its supposed to. i'm paying $250 for frame with title, so I would like to think if something doesn't work, I can resell the frame/title and not loose any money. But we shall see... I really just want to be able to ride my damn bike on road when needed!!!!!

• Joshuatest

Posted August 26, 2011 - 03:09 AM

Well I'm headed go rescue my new frame and title... Gonna be stoked to be street legal on my WR finally!

• ArcticWR400

Posted August 26, 2011 - 10:05 AM

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joshuatest

Posted August 27, 2011 - 04:54 AM

Cleaned up some space to work and lay parts in the garage...

I've got a half done 59 apache, just started 57 apache, a rock crawler truck that's 90% done, and 3 bikes sitting around. As you can imagine... I probably spent more time cleaning up good workspace and places to put things than I will on the actual frame swap lol

None the less. Took plastics, seat, and tank off...and some misc stuff loosened up. I will have a helper this evening making it easier...

Thinking a couple hours and it should be done... I'll let u know...

But frames look identical at this point

• jsantapau

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:07 AM

The swingarm pivot bolt and possibley ( forget the year turnover) rear brake master cylinder mount. The bushing in the back of the engine should be relatively easy to replace for the swingarm mount and a different master cylinder is the only thing I can think of being an issue

• Joshuatest

Posted August 27, 2011 - 12:45 PM

The swing arm bolt is the same size for sure...

I have the bike down to forks and engine left in frame... Apparently i don't own a socket to fit the steering neck nut... but I've got one on the way...

I'll be started assembling in a few min...

• Joshuatest

Posted August 27, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Sucess!!!

It's official... 99 WR400 to 01 WR426 IS possible!!!!!!!

Only ended up finding one difference...

There was no Hot Start mount to bolt the hot start to. Luckily for me, I've got a cut off disk and a mig welder!!! Sliced the old bracket off the old frame, and welded it to the new one... Didn't realize this until the motor was in the frame and front end was on... Was getting ready to bolt the subframe on and realized it.

Couple tacks and i was good to go.

No changes in swing arm bolt or bushings...

I will be registering my WR on Monday... I'll call and add it to my motorcycle policy and toss it in the truck for a VIN inspection because its out of state title...

otherwise, good to go.

• Birdy426

Posted August 28, 2011 - 06:49 AM

Congrats! Forgot all about that hot start thing...If you get the chance, you may want to pic up a newer carb some time in the future. The 426 (YZ and WR) and 450 carbs don't have the issue of the vacuum breaker plate on the slide cracking, as well as having the internal hot start...YZ carbs are a better bet as they don't have the Air Cut Valve, so are a bit easier to jet...

• Joshuatest

Posted August 28, 2011 - 07:02 AM

Good to know... I've got a amazing cycle salvage place here in KY... I'll call Travis in the morning and ask about that carb... Then I can just cut my weld and ditch the hot start anyway...

• ArcticWR400

Posted August 28, 2011 - 05:54 PM

Good to know... I've got a amazing cycle salvage place here in KY... I'll call Travis in the morning and ask about that carb... Then I can just cut my weld and ditch the hot start anyway...

My hotstart has gotten my :) out of a sling a few times. I personally wouldn't be without it... just me :)

• Joshuatest

Posted August 28, 2011 - 06:07 PM

correction.. ditch the nob for newer carb with internal hotstart...

• Joshuatest

Posted August 29, 2011 - 11:18 AM

I HAVE A PLATE!!!

Very happy, did a VIN inspection, which consisted of her asking me to climb in my truck bed and read her the VIN number... Then she asked while I was up there, how many miles does it show... I looked at the area that would have had a odo if it had one :). And read of a number of miles...

Away we walked and after paying the tab, I'm now free to ride on street...

Now to find some street tires and wheels!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.