suggestions for filling an exhaust

5 replies to this topic
  • golybrown

Posted August 23, 2011 - 04:40 PM

hi guys,
just bought a 2006 yz450 muffler for my 2009 wr450. Muffler fits perfect except the muffler pipe is too big to for the stock header. the clamp does not tighten the muffler pipe enough to create a seal on the header. when i start the bike air blows out where the muffler and header meet. does anyone have any suggestions apart from buying a new header on how i can seal this gap?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 23, 2011 - 05:20 PM

hi guys,
just bought a 2006 yz450 muffler for my 2009 wr450. Muffler fits perfect except the muffler pipe is too big to for the stock header. the clamp does not tighten the muffler pipe enough to create a seal on the header. when i start the bike air blows out where the muffler and header meet. does anyone have any suggestions apart from buying a new header on how i can seal this gap?

If it's a small gap you can use high-temp silicone gasket maker.

• dustdogg

Posted August 23, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I think you have to use the YZ head pipe with the YZ muffler or go with an aftermarket head pipe. I have been looking into the YZ pipe as well, but remember reading on TT about the size differances between the WR and YZ head pipes . It seems most of the YZ pipes for sale are for the muffler only. I would look for the YZ head pipe so that everything matches up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • comtnrider

Posted August 25, 2011 - 11:51 AM

Go to a dealer, there are 2 different size header/muffler bushings. With the thicker you can use a WR header with a YZ muffler

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 26, 2011 - 09:40 AM

You have a good muffler, but imo I would find a yz header to make more power overall.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 27, 2011 - 12:48 PM

You have a good muffler, but imo I would find a yz header to make more power overall.

+1 to this... The stock header is tiny and you are not getting full benefit of the less restrictive YZ muffler leaving that thing in there as a bottleneck. When I changed mine I was shocked to see that it was the same size as the one on my WR250! useless!!

Definitely look for the YZ pipe... not sure about down under but in the US they pop up on ebay all the time for cheap.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.