85 XL600

3 replies to this topic
  • splasj

Posted September 11, 2003 - 07:25 AM

Is this bike too large/heavy for the woods?
Im 1.80cm 90kg.
And this is my first bike, never drived a bike before.
And if u got some tips for me, to get the bike more easy
to drive, please give it to me.

• jeff_sj

Posted September 11, 2003 - 12:52 PM

I had one of those. Had mine up to 115 mph on a downhill stretch of freeway once, fastest I've gone on a bike.. went one tooth larger on the front sprocket for freeway, one tooth smaller for dirt. Put knobbies and stiffer springs and White Bros exhaust and unbolt the heavy junk and ride it. Throwing that weight around will make you stronger. Oh, and raise the fork tubes up 1/2 inch in triple clamps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted September 11, 2003 - 08:44 PM

These are good, decent bikes. A friend of mine has an '86 XL600 in great original shape with 5k miles on it. Not a scratch on it, and it runs perfectly.
The plus side to this older model is, lower seat ht., short wheelbase for quick handling, a super reliable engine if maintained right, and decent power which won't scare anyone.
I think the '85 was red, not sure. The '86 is red, white, and blue. Both models have dual carbs, which can be a slight annoyance at times, but works pretty well overall. You can feel the kick when the second carb comes in.
These bikes work great in tight trails in part because of the short wheelbase and short seat ht. The weight is well within limits, there is no emissions junk, and they are quiet. It's a great old bike for dual sport riding.
I would suggest, that if you take the carbs off, do so by unbolting the front manifold boot from the cylinder, leaving it attached to the carbs as you remove them. It's easier that way. Still a pain, but easier. Clean both carbs completely. Also, adjust the valve lash if it hasn't been done in a while.

• Math

Posted September 16, 2003 - 09:53 AM

This is not a bad wood bike. Of course tight technical sections are to avoid but logging roads are just fine. Try to avoid jumping the bike because its own weight is too much for the suspension. I once cleared a 20 feet long jump ( probably something like 4 feet high )on a 86 XL600 :D and both front and rear suspensions bottomed hardly.:). At that time I was weighing nothing more than 130-140 pounds.

This bike was a little hard to start but was very fun and comfortable for long rides.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.