New yz450 too much for woods?

32 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2011 - 10:18 AM

I believe with a Rekluse, this bike will be a joy in the woods. Put it in 2nd, and tractor over the rough stuff!

First is plenty tall on a YZF already. Second will just shorten the life of your clutch plates.

• upnorthbacon

Posted August 31, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Thanks guys for all the advice! I'm not pulling the trigger until this winter or next spring. I just really want to make the right decision since I hope to keep this one for a long time! I know myself, and I think in the long run I'll be happy going with the most advanced technology available. I like the though of EFI over carbs, and really like that I can tune the motor for whether I'm sand dragging or single tracking. I'm still not completely decided but leaning towards the yz450 over a yz250 at this point. My thoughts are use the programmer to tune the power down and install a G2 throttle cam to tame the low end (Both of which were suggested on here, thanks!) for hare scrambles or trail riding...but then I can swap the throttle tube and re-tune if I go out to do some sand dragging or mx. I've never had a problem stalling my wr250f, yz250, or yz426 in the woods but I'll have to wait and see if it's an issue with the 450. If so looks like a rekluse isn't too terribly expensive.

• YZPaGuy

Posted August 31, 2011 - 12:22 PM

Try and get a ride on both a 450 and a 250 but everyone I talked to that races said the 250 gets slow fast and they all end up with a 300 kit on it. I don't think I will get tired of the 450 power. You won't regret it. With a few mods, the ones you spoke of, it is very managable even in the tight stuff. I am going to order the G2 throttle cam now for mine and see how I like that. Rekluse is coming but not until I can use the clutch properly.

• Smitty0720

Posted August 31, 2011 - 12:29 PM

My buddy has a YZ450 and it works get in the woods. He put on a heavier fly wheel and changed the gearing. Thing is smooth! I've rode it many times and can transition from that to my 450X with no problems. Get that puppy!:)

• upnorthbacon

Posted August 31, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Try and get a ride on both a 450 and a 250 but everyone I talked to that races said the 250 gets slow fast and they all end up with a 300 kit on it. I don't think I will get tired of the 450 power. You won't regret it. With a few mods, the ones you spoke of, it is very managable even in the tight stuff. I am going to order the G2 throttle cam now for mine and see how I like that. Rekluse is coming but not until I can use the clutch properly.

Please report back on that cam and let me know how it works too!

• johnny6speed

Posted August 31, 2011 - 01:47 PM

First is plenty tall on a YZF already. Second will just shorten the life of your clutch plates.

True. I found with the stock 49 tooth rear on my machine, 1st and 2nd were far too tall for my skill level and riding area. I now have a 51 on the rear and its much more enjoyable except for first gear, I need to learn better throttle control...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZPaGuy

Posted August 31, 2011 - 02:15 PM

Please report back on that cam and let me know how it works too!

Will do!

Keep checking in Johny 6 speed. From what all the harescramble guys have told me the G2 throttle cam is the secret to first gear. Maybe something you want to try also.

• Hurricane

Posted September 01, 2011 - 09:48 AM

Will do!

Keep checking in Johny 6 speed. From what all the harescramble guys have told me the G2 throttle cam is the secret to first gear. Maybe something you want to try also.

What exactly does the G2 do? Isn't it just a larger diameter cable guide on the throttle tube that makes you roll the power on slower or is it something else?

• Yamaryder29

Posted September 02, 2011 - 05:31 AM

Just buy a stock yz450f and ride it. Those mods are no where near neccessary. I have a stock 08 with fmf exhaust. 1st gear is all you need in the woods. With a little practice, you'll master the throttle control. Your just throwin your money away with those mods.

• tech24

Posted September 02, 2011 - 05:40 AM

What exactly does the G2 do? Isn't it just a larger diameter cable guide on the throttle tube that makes you roll the power on slower or is it something else?

You can get larger and smaller the smaller is actually the one that opens throttle slowly. I find the slowest opening works best for everything and doesn't really add to length of twist

Just buy a stock yz450f and ride it. Those mods are no where near neccessary. I have a stock 08 with fmf exhaust. 1st gear is all you need in the woods. With a little practice, you'll master the throttle control. Your just throwin your money away with those mods.

I would agree on an '08 but the new model needs some help in the woods unless you are a master clutch operator which I am not and I got tired of sore knuckles from slamming the clutch lever into them too ofter.

• Hurricane

Posted September 02, 2011 - 06:34 AM

tech24 I hope that isn't you on your avatar

• tech24

Posted September 02, 2011 - 06:41 AM

tech24 I hope that isn't you on your avatar

lol, no but it would be if I attempted a flip

• Yamiryder

Posted September 02, 2011 - 01:37 PM

I ride an 07 yz450 and I LOVE it in the woods. I don't even have a FWW or Rekluse, just a 51 tooth rear sprocket and bark busters. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.