Top triple clamp nut tightening method

4 replies to this topic
  • Boomer

Posted June 23, 2001 - 02:41 AM

How tight are you guys torqueing the nut?

Also, do you let the bottom clamp hit the stops when tightening?

I have tried and tried, but by the time I torque the nut on the top tree to spec (while allowing the bottom tree to hit the stop), my front end is tweaked out of alignment.

I have tried this many different ways, with the lower fork bolts tight and the uppers loose / or just snug, and reverse, ect., ect....

What is the best way to get accurate alignment?????

Since the upper and lower trees are not keyed together it seems to me that the only way to keep the top and bottom from turning out of alignment is to prevent the lower tree from making contact with the stop, while tightening the nut on the top tree. I can barely get to 60 ft/lbs this way.

What's up with this??? Thanks for any help - I am tired of not being able to flow through turns - and having to steer crooked to go straight

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• ICrash2

Posted June 23, 2001 - 04:26 PM

Put the fork tubes back in the clamps first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted June 24, 2001 - 02:06 PM

Lower pinch bolts torqued, top ones all loose, let lower clamp butt against steering stop. This always works for me.

You should have a washer between the top nut and top clamp.

• Boomer

Posted June 27, 2001 - 01:54 AM

Hick - I have tightened the front end that way before - but I'll try it again - thanks. Since I have 7 bikes, we'll assume I know that all componentry must be, and are present. I can see where the washer would allow the nut to spin & tighten while preventing turning independently the top tree.

Are you tightening to 115 ft/lbs??????? Seems excessive to me.

Crash - what fork tubes ?????????????????

• Scott_F

Posted June 28, 2001 - 04:34 AM

Forget the 115 ft/lbs! That is definitely excessive, and no doubt a lawyer spec. 80 ft/lbs is plenty. I just use my breaker bar, and pull about as hard as I can, without spinning the bike around.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.