Shorten YZ450 OEM Exhaust

7 replies to this topic
  • chriskeit

Posted August 23, 2011 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone know if I could shorten the stock YZ450 exhaust silencer?

I have a 2007 YZ450 with a bent exhaust, I see the 2008 came with a much shorter silencer. I am wanting to know if it is a good idea the cut the exhaust to remove the bend and shorten at the same time.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Again?

The '08 came with a substantially different exhaust. I'm sure someone would be happy to sell you one; they suck.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=367066

• Bobbed06

Posted August 23, 2011 - 01:09 PM

I have done many bikes ranging from my many GSXRs,TLR,KX250,KX125, and have had great luck doing so.

Usually its for looks, but sometimes I will snag a slightly damaged muffler and have cut it to repair it. Cut the can straight, shorten the core the exact amt removed, and rebolt or rivet the end cap back in and your golden.

• 92db

Posted August 23, 2011 - 09:58 PM

You can polish a turd but it will still be a turd. The 2008 muffler is definitely a turd.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wags450

Posted August 24, 2011 - 12:26 PM

You can polish a turd but it will still be a turd. The 2008 muffler is definitely a turd.

I just happen to have dumped a turd myself. Its now hanging on the wall in my garage.

Spend the dough to get a slip on or full system its a really big change or like gray said find someone that has one.

• todds924

Posted August 25, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I agree......you'd have better luck running a muffler stuffed with a turd..than that stock shorty. And people cutting/shortening/welding etc etc....Making what "you think" is a bad ass pipe.....is also a Turd.....A mickey Mouse -GOON turd

I see it every day........"Look at my bad ass cut down/shorty pipe"
"how come my bike runs like shit now"?
"it lost 6 horsepower"

But hey...it looks cool right?

• todds924

Posted August 25, 2011 - 07:01 PM

I just happen to have dumped a turd myself. Its now hanging on the wall in my garage.

Spend the dough to get a slip on or full system its a really big change or like gray said find someone that has one.

Gray said " I'm sure YOU can find someone that HAS one, they SUCK"
I sold mine in 08 for 200 bucks.... I think that was before people KNEW they sucked......they were just "cool" because they were short.
You'd have to pay someone to take one now....or Dr. FrankenPipe would probably buy one.

• primerib108

Posted August 26, 2011 - 10:21 AM

I chopped my oem muffler which is the same as the OP's 07 and all it did was make it even more obnoxiously loud and it did feel slighty less responsive on the throttle.....granted I only did it because I mashed the end against a tree and gave it a whirl.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.