New to me 03 Yz 450 (rebuild)

108 replies to this topic
  • bump530

Posted October 25, 2011 - 03:50 AM

It's looking good.

• BDubb106

Posted October 25, 2011 - 06:02 AM

WOW...never heard of "dying" a tank prior to this thread. Very interesting. I take it that you did this to save the expense of just replacing the tank? I was also wondering if possibly I should consider dying my oem blue tank....well...blue...since it is slightly faded from the sun. I have sanded most of the chalkiness off and have worked it using finer and finer grits of paper. Kinda happy with the results, but would like the "new" color look. Is there a dye close to oem Yamaha blue avail?

IDK how blue would work... might be worth a shot. Cant guarentee anything though. As far as your linkage bearings, I couldnt believe my eyes when I pulled it apart. They were in pretty good shape but dirty as hell and looked like they never had a drop of grease put on them. They were notchy and rough, I couldnt even move them by hand. Once greased they were smooth as butter.

It's looking good.

Thanks alot man!:thumbsup:

• yamaduner

Posted October 25, 2011 - 03:48 PM

...Looks like I have a project for this weekend. The rear suspension seems plush, but it will be worth it to investigate the bearings non the less. I need to get all my maintenance done soon...cooler weather is in phoenix this coming week. Time to get out and ride!

• BDubb106

Posted October 26, 2011 - 04:53 AM

So I got out to the track yesterday for the first time on the 03 since the rebuild. It was awesome, I had the track all to myself. I forgot how easy these things are to ride. The track was super sloppy and rough as ever. I took my Yz 250 out first and I was gassed after about 5 laps because of the lack of traction and having to make corrections non stop, couldnt clear any of the jumps resulting in casing them or extremely hard landings taking even more energy out of me.

So I decided it was time to see what the 450 could do. Let me start off by saying that the bike feels brand new after the grease and oil, filter changes. Talk about easy to ride! Very very minimal clutch work involved compared to the 250 and the best part is no seat bouncing or preloading involved to clear even the smaller doubles directly out of the corners. Even with the bald tire on the 450 it hooked up like there is no tom. even in the sloppy conditions. Suspension is near perfect, I had it resprung and revalved and it is very predictable, only a few clicker adjustments and it will be perfect. Even in the few instances that I cased jumps the bike didnt bottom but was extremely plush in the rough downhill sections. I love the fact that I dont have to feather the clutch to no end to clear a jump right out of a corner. The 450 did it effortlessly! Roll on the throttle and hold on. I have a feeling this bike wont be going anywhere any time soon! Its soooo fun to ride when conditions arent perfect. I could put in 12-15 laps before I felt any signs of fatigue wheras on the 250 I was gassed after 5.

Posted Image

• BDubb106

Posted October 26, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Haha, for some reason Im extremely sore today particularly my knees, ass, neck and lats. Not sure why, I usually feel pretty good after I ride. Havnt ridden in the mud much this season (maybe once) so that may have something to do with it, twisted wrong putting a foot down when the rear got all squirrely in the slop. Not really sure. That seat is hard as a rock as well so that may also have something to do with it.

Havnt ridden a 450 in a while so Im wondering if that has to have something to do with it as well. From pushing too hard maybe, or holding on too tight? The bike was so easy to ride I often found myself needing to check up, I was going way too fast at least for the conditions. I found myself out of my comfort zone a little too often. Also due to there being no one else at the track to help me if I went down too hard. Any ideas what the hell is going on lol? I just think its odd that I havnt really been sore since the first ride of the season and now Im sore as hell to the point everytime I move I have to cringe. Any ideas? Is it just a fluke or could it be set up related?

• GMO397

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:02 PM

I would def. blame it on the 450. Whenever I switch up bikes I always ride tighter. Not being as relaxed.

Everytime I'm alone at the track, with no one to help, I always have my worst wrecks. Nothing I wasn't able to load up by myself, but the kind where you have to sit there for 5 mins until you can see straight again. At least no one's around to laugh!

FYI: Bailey says having stiff seam foam is good for mx/sx. He suggests replacing the seat foam every season. He says it keeps you off the seat lol.

• BDubb106

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:34 PM

The thing about it is, I felt super relaxed (and fast) on the 450. It felt like I had been riding it all season. Felt right at home and really good. Your probably right though, thats the only thing that makes any sense! Im def leaning towards the seat on the 450 causing the sore behind too. Never had any of that with my 250s.

One thing Im happy about is I only went down once and it was because they cut a new section through the woods that has about 3 ft walls and I "forgot" to turn so when my front wheel got up on the hill my feet didnt touch the ground and I tipped over and tumbeled down the downhill following. Wouldnt really call it a crash, more of the tip over, tuck and roll, come out unscaved type of crash.

I agree with the seat comment, though I could see how a extremely hard seat would be beneficial. I feel uncomfortable sitting on the track though!

• BDubb106

Posted January 19, 2012 - 04:56 AM

Finally got around to putting the all black seat cover on the 450... much better.
Posted Image
Posted Image
All thats left to do is replace the fork guards and fender (10+ fender), buff the tank, and get some new grapics on the way.

Edited by BDubb106, January 19, 2012 - 05:17 AM.

• dudethatssick

Posted January 25, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Nice 450. Im a two stroke fanboy and I prefer the ride of my 2000 YZ250 to my 2002 YZ426F in nearly every way. I will barely ride the 426 since I have the 250, but for some reason its so hard to part ways with the 426! Maybe its just sentimental, but there's something cool about owning a big thumper. Especially these old steel framed YZ's. Good luck on the finishing of your build.

• BDubb106

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:13 AM

Nice 450. Im a two stroke fanboy and I prefer the ride of my 2000 YZ250 to my 2002 YZ426F in nearly every way. I will barely ride the 426 since I have the 250, but for some reason its so hard to part ways with the 426! Maybe its just sentimental, but there's something cool about owning a big thumper. Especially these old steel framed YZ's. Good luck on the finishing of your build.

Thanks alot! Its up next to be made over as soon as I get done with the 250. The 450 will be all cosmetic so it will be easy. Then the race bike needs a make over as well, already freshened up the motor with new piston and replate, and replaced the oil in the forks and shock. Cant wait till all these bikes are done. I started too many projects at once.

I had an 03 450 before and got rid of it, had to give it another shot. The 03 has the strongest yz450 motor Ive ever ridden. Its a blast to ride every once in a while, but the 250 smoker will remain the primary race bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BDubb106

Posted January 31, 2012 - 01:22 PM

so does anyone have any advice on how to start this thing after its been sitting for about 2-3 weeks? I try to start it once a week at least to keep the carb from gumming up but I missed a few weeks. Im sure it has something to do with my technique, and I made the mistake of thinking I was starting my one of my smokers so I flooded it right off the bat. Havnt had any issues starting it all winter until now. It will try to start the first kick then it sputters and dies, then gives me nothing until it sits for about 10 mins. Dont be too hard on me since I havnt had a 4 stroke in about 7 years. Just wondered if there was anything I was missing? Or if there is anything else I should check. Gas and oil are both fresh.

Cleaned carb already today. Carb cleaner, compressed air, the whole 9.

• Yamiryder

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:28 PM

so does anyone have any advice on how to start this thing after its been sitting for about 2-3 weeks? I try to start it once a week at least to keep the carb from gumming up but I missed a few weeks. Im sure it has something to do with my technique, and I made the mistake of thinking I was starting my one of my smokers so I flooded it right off the bat. Havnt had any issues starting it all winter until now. It will try to start the first kick then it sputters and dies, then gives me nothing until it sits for about 10 mins. Dont be too hard on me since I havnt had a 4 stroke in about 7 years. Just wondered if there was anything I was missing? Or if there is anything else I should check. Gas and oil are both fresh.

Cleaned carb already today. Carb cleaner, compressed air, the whole 9.

keep trying, as my bike has been weird sometimes. However, i would also check to make sure the valves are in spec.

• BDubb106

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Valves were just replaced, and rechecked when I tore the bike down. All were well within spec. Dont have the numbers in front of me at work but I have them in my notes at home. It sounds like it wants to start just wont fire.

I had the same issue last time I took it to the track. Kicked it for about 30 mins straight, ended up bump starting it down the big ass hill leading to the track. I woulda been screwed if it didnt start. I havnt tried to bump start it, but I guess I will if I have to. It never has any issues starting, Im thinking I may have just flooded it when I first went to start it thinking I was starting one of my smokers.

Im off again tomm so Im gonna try again and plan on getting this thing running one way or another!

Edited by BDubb106, February 01, 2012 - 07:44 PM.

• sid_125_04

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:05 AM

I don't know if the 450's are any different, but its was nice Wednesday and i decided to get the 426 out and it hasn't been started since end of October....I always twist the throttle twice and kick it and usually work i had to repeat the process 3 times and she fired right up. So try "priming" it before you try and start it.....IDK. Bike is looking good tho bud!

• BDubb106

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:40 AM

I tried again yesterday and still wouldnt start. It fired once and stalled out, and wouldnt do anything again after that. Gonna try again today. Im starting to think its a fuel issue.

• Bearman108

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Man thats a sweet find! I bought my '93 cr250 for that price! I'm looking for a 450 in the future so i'm looking forward to your overhaul!

• BDubb106

Posted February 05, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Its probably gonna be put on hold for a while. Taking a 2-3 week riding trip to SC next month, so they will all be getting ridden. Never been on a riding trip like this before but I just learned that my fiancee's Aunt and Uncles family is big into MX down there (thier son used to race but he had a crash and was paralyzed from the neck down shortly after he got his pro card) and they live on some sort of plantation with like 1500 acres and 2 or 3 private tracks surrounding a 5 or so acre lake on their property. From what her grandpa tells me it rivals most of the biggest name tracks he's ever been to watching the kid that got hurt race and there are a few pro's that practice there daily. Ive never met them and she hasnt seen them in about 10 years but their obviously loaded, they have like 6 houses on their property. Should be fun. Her uncle even told me not to worry about bringing fuel because they keep that kinda stuff around. Told him I ran 50/50 110/93 and he says they have race fuel too... Who does that, I cannot wait!!!! :smirk:

Cant wait to see if its everything Ive been told or if its like a "fishing" story where the fish grows everytime its told.

• BDubb106

Posted March 08, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Bump... still need help, this thing has been on the side burner because Ive been spending all my time on the 250 rebuild, and honestly Im fed up with it.

I still cant get this thing started...

Ive had piston replaced, valves checked twice by me and a buddy who is the lead tech at a local shop, replaced cam chain and checked timing twice once by me and once by the same buddy, cleaned carb, replaced the plug about 4 times... etc. etc. Buddy did a leak down test, and compression test everythings checked out. Ive tried everything I can think of. Probably kicked the thing 300+ times, tried bump starting... etc etc. It will fire about every 10-15th kick or so and die immediately. Anyone have any more suggestions?

I just dont understand how it starts and runs flawless one day and 2 weeks later I have nothing. Just doesnt make sense. Im about to push the thing in the river. This is the excact reason I sold my last 03 450.

• TeamPrecisionIT

Posted March 09, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Have you checked that fuel is getting in the float bowls and not flooding? Choke circuit good to go?

Damian

Edited by TeamPrecisionIT, March 09, 2012 - 06:54 AM.

• BDubb106

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Yes carb is 100% good... even swapped carbs from a buddies bike to make sure!

Gonna throw some straight race fuel in it to see if I can get it running per my buddies suggestion. He insists that the motor is just not broken in and once I get it running it will be fine but Ive never had this much trouble getting a fresh motor to start. Gonna take it out to the farm over the weekend and give it a quick pull with the 4 wheeler to see if it will start but all bump starting attempts have failed up to this point as well.

Also took the carb completely apart last night and cleaned it thoroughly and then blew out with compressed air. Still couldnt get it to turn over.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.