New to me 03 Yz 450 (rebuild)

108 replies to this topic
  • BDubb106

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:20 PM

So here are the pics of some of the progress made today, didnt get as much as I planned done but its a start.

Posted Image
worn sprocket... missing teeth
Posted Image
Posted Image
To my surprise I found what looks like a bird nest when I pulled the seat to take a look in the air box.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now this is what I call a dirty filter
Posted Image
Posted Image
Took me all day to get the swingarm off, I dont think its ever seen any grease
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Finally got the linkage all apart, greased, and reassembled.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Planning on doing more work on the bike tomm... havnt even got the motor out of the frame yet. Plans for tomm are to strip the paint off the gas tank and pull the motor.

Im gonna order parts as needed, so far I have a new grips, clutch lever, shift lever, air filter, rear sprocket, chain, rollers, and silencer packing on the way.

• bump530

Posted October 18, 2011 - 10:40 AM

any updates on this?

• BDubb106

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:45 AM

Yea actually have alot of progress... pulled the motor and adjusted valves, the cam chain was all out of whack, no where near within spec. so I also replaced that and adjusted. Had the shock and forks revalved and sprung. Thinking of sending the cylinder out for some port work while its apart. Got the bottom end back in the bike and replaced the sprockets and chain. Tank is being dyed right now. I think Im gonna stick with the black look to save some money.

Got the swing arm and rims polished back up, repacked the silencer, cleaned the carb and replaced the throttle cable and tube. Installed new grips and levers. Wanna get a few rides on it before the snow falls so Im gonna throw it back together. When the winter comes it will prolly get torn back down for a 100% clean up. soda blast the cases, replace all the rusted bolts PC the frame, etc. etc.

Thought no one was interested in this project since no one was replying to the previous update so I just gave up on the thread. Ill try to get some more pics up asap.

Any one got any good leads on a nice set of black graphics for cheap? My budget for this project is around $2000 and I used a large chunk of that on the revalve and spring of the suspension so Im pushing it on this project already.

• KJK_JR

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:59 AM

My budget for this project is around $2000 and I used a large chunk of that on the revalve and spring of the suspension so Im pushing it on this project already.

So i take it that your keepin this one :thumbsup:

• BDubb106

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:23 PM

Havnt decided yet, as of right now Im planning on it but time will tell... I just figured that since I only paid 800 for it, I could afford to sink a little money into it and still not get beat up if I chose to resell. Forks and shock were pretty much junked so I figured that would be a good place to start, and go from there with cosmetics to stay within my budget. Motor will be nice and tight and suspension will be ridable no matter what I decide to do.

I havnt been on a 450 in a few years so I had to get the suspension done since I ride about 99% MX so I could get a little time on it to see if Ill actually ride it witht all the choices I already have to pick from. I didnt really like my last 450 so we'll see if thats changed or not. I just got bored on it, seemed like there was no work involved in making it go fast.

• bump530

Posted October 20, 2011 - 01:34 PM

well glad to see your still working on it lol. post some more pics up when you get the chance

• BDubb106

Posted October 21, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Sure will... Im gonna take the tank outta the dye tonight, clean it up, and buff it, and will snap a bunch of pictures of the progress to this point tomm. Unfortunately I dont think I saved any of the pictures I took with the motor apart, gotta check the desktop when I get home. Glad to see a few people are still interested.:thumbsup:

As I stated before Im kinda rushing through this so I can get a little seat time before the snow starts to fall so I can decide whether or not Im gonna keep it so I can determine how much more money I want to sink into the bike.

• bump530

Posted October 22, 2011 - 06:23 AM

Nice. Well you know we like pics lol.

Since u have done a couple tanks black, How do you think a black tank will look with blue plastics?

• BDubb106

Posted October 22, 2011 - 06:26 AM

If you find a set of black and blue graphics they will look good... Ive done a few for friends thats bikes were black and blue and they turned out great. They look odd with no graphics though.

• bump530

Posted October 22, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Yea I agree it would look odd with no graphics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BDubb106

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Pics of the bike will be posted in a few mins, uploading them to photo bucket now... not too much to look and nothing exciting at but its something for you guys that are sticking with me.

• BDubb106

Posted October 23, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Nothing special but here are a few pics of the progress I made this weekend for you guys.

polished swing arm, new filter, cleaned rims and hubs, installed new chain, new grips, new unbreakable brake lever, new stainless front brake line, scrubbed pipe with scotch brite and wd-40 (took forever, rust and inch thick on the header, flushed rads, changed oil, new front tube, new chain and rear sprocket, new throttle tube, replaced a bunch of rusted nuts and bolts. And previously got the motor and suspension squared away so its fresh.

As you guys know I wanna get a few rides on it before winter, so I didnt go overboard yet with the rebuild, I just wanted to get it back together. If I decide to keep it the bike will be getting a real overhaul this winter. Anyways heres some pics for you guys that have asked for them, not much but its better than nothing. I forgot to put the case saver back on after I put the new chain on for the pics.

Fresh black tank dyed:
Posted Image
Posted Image
New grips, lever, line and throttle tube:
Posted Image
New filter, didnt realise the skin wasnt on it when I took the pic:
Posted Image
Swingarm repolished, in progress anyways:
Posted Image
Just thought Id share that this is the best cleaning tool I have ever used in my life. It makes cleaning hubs, spokes, wheels, and just general polishing effortless... Mother's Power Ball:
Posted Image
And finally the reassembled, "clean enough" for now, bike:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Its amazing how smooth this machine is with a little fresh grease, specifically linkage and steering stem.

As soon as the snow falls Im gonna do an extensive rebuild that will be pic HEAVY if I decide to keep the bike!

I gotta get a new seat cover though, I think that is a metal melisha cover and it looks like crap. Still looking for a temporary graphics kit cheap, to hide all the scratches on the black plastics and clean up the look a little for the time being.

What do you think so far? Any suggestions are welcome.

• yamaduner

Posted October 23, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Looks great. I also bought a 03' and basically did the same with the rebuild. I did something different with my swingarm as far as the polishing. I went even further and polished the sides to a mirror finish. Not sure if I like it since it will be a maintenance issue. Props on all the work that you have done. Did you replace the steering stem bearings and races?. Mine were trashed and the races where a bitch to remove( I ended up cutting the races with a dremel just enough to weaken them in order to remove) I am subscribed to this thread and look forward to more pics

• BDubb106

Posted October 23, 2011 - 03:52 PM

No I reused the bearings and races, they were brand new installed by the shop. Kid had pretty much every bearing and wear part inspected by the shop and anything worn replaced. However based on previous experiences with shop fubars I thought it would be a good idea to have a look at all thier work. Guess what, not a single drop of grease on them. Same with the linkage and swingarm bearings. So they were all packed and reinstalled.

• GMO397

Posted October 24, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Nice work so far. Subscribed for future updates/pics!

Did you only dye the outside of your tank?

• BDubb106

Posted October 24, 2011 - 08:20 AM

no... submerged the tank in the water so it would fill, used a paint stick to pull the spout of the tank back up and screwed the cap on. Sank to the bottom and its black inside and out. If you dye the inside you will need to flush the tank out several times with some hot water to rinse the dye residue out. I usually put about a quarter of a gallon of gas for the mower in the tank and shake it around and empty it as well just to be sure none of that crap will enter my carb. Been running the tank for well over a year on my 250 and no carb issues to speak of.

• GMO397

Posted October 24, 2011 - 08:44 AM

no... submerged the tank in the water so it would fill, used a paint stick to pull the spout of the tank back up and screwed the cap on. Sank to the bottom and its black inside and out. If you dye the inside you will need to flush the tank out several times with some hot water to rinse the dye residue out. I usually put about a quarter of a gallon of gas for the mower in the tank and shake it around and empty it as well just to be sure none of that crap will enter my carb. Been running the tank for well over a year on my 250 and no carb issues to speak of.

Good to hear. There was someone in hollywoodmx's thread with a KTM that had black gas coming out of his carb. He must have used to much dye.
I'm just considering buy a new black tank and selling mine.
I wonder how much it would cost to ship my tank to Ohio and back!!:thumbsup:

• BDubb106

Posted October 24, 2011 - 08:59 AM

LOL if it was cheap enough to ship Id dye it for you. He had black gas because he dyed the inside of the tank and didnt flush it out. As long as you clean it out well as I described, there will be no residue left to dirty up your fuel.

• yamaduner

Posted October 24, 2011 - 02:44 PM

WOW...never heard of "dying" a tank prior to this thread. Very interesting. I take it that you did this to save the expense of just replacing the tank? I was also wondering if possibly I should consider dying my oem blue tank....well...blue...since it is slightly faded from the sun. I have sanded most of the chalkiness off and have worked it using finer and finer grits of paper. Kinda happy with the results, but would like the "new" color look. Is there a dye close to oem Yamaha blue avail?

• yamaduner

Posted October 24, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I need to break down my swingarm linkage next and check those bearings as well. My bet is that they were never serviced based on how other items were neglected. The previous owner just rode the bike and that's it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.