2008 Yz450f No Comp?

2 replies to this topic
  • motomanwr250

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:07 AM

The other day I went down to start my 2008 Yz450f and it had no compression when i tried to find tdc to start it. I was able to continually cycle the engine easily by hand, that is how little comp it had. The weird thing on this is that it ran mint and crisp two weeks before and had not been touched since. (started in one to two kicks, great throttle response.)

Any Ideas on what this could be before i start tearing the engine apart to find the problem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Start by checking the valve clearance and timing. You may have sunk an intake.

The thing that can sometimes happen is this: In spite of what most people intuitively think, valve clearance in a YZF increases as it heats up, not the other way around. This is because the head expands more than the valves do, moving the cam away from the valve seat. When a valve at normal operating temperature wears down to near zero clearance, it actually will be held off its seat when it gets cold; less than zero clearance.

OTOH, you may have a valve being held off its seat by carbon, or by a rusty seat (I hear it's been nasty hot and humid up your way). If this is the case, you'll find one or more valves with too much clearance. Gently tapping the valve lifter downward a few times may bounce the valve back onto it's seat again and restore compression.

• motomanwr250

Posted August 24, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the advice i went to check clearances and noticed that one of the buckets was stuck down and an exhaust valve was stuck open. Took off the top end, problem solved valve guide had some rust on it from moisture causing the valve to stick. Cleaned everything up and its good to go.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On Yesterday, 06:20 PM

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.