Help!

7 replies to this topic
  • tommyr21

Posted August 20, 2011 - 04:34 PM

hey guys... i feel as though i have severely F%$*&% up!:eek:

after reading on here about using a golf tee to plug up the spark plug drain hole while washing my bike, id started doing this...
the problem is, that after my last wash i forgot to remove the tee and as the engine has cooled it has obviously retracted enough to jam the golf tee in th hole...
i tried ever so carefully to pull the tee out, but ended up snapping it off in there with no way of getting it out.
what do i do? am i able to run the bike without bits of the wooden golf tee getting into the engine? i guesss im going to have to pull the head off to get to it right?
where exactly does the hole go? i dont know.... any help would be great.

Thanks
Tom

• gsa102

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:10 PM

Drill it out, GENTLY. The wood should cut out easily without damaging the head. The bit should not start cutting metal unless you put some pressure on it.

• robw122

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Drill it out, GENTLY. The wood should cut out easily without damaging the head. The bit should not start cutting metal unless you put some pressure on it.

^this. or burn it out.

• tommyr21

Posted August 20, 2011 - 11:45 PM

will i need to pull the barrel off to drill it out? is there any chance of bits of crap getting into the engine?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CanadianWR450

Posted August 21, 2011 - 04:07 AM

No, and No, as long as you don't take out the spark plug.
The hole does not go "into" the engine. The spark plugs for these engines are WAY down inside the head. The hole is simply there to let water drain out of this space if any get around the rubber seal on top.

• miweber929

Posted August 21, 2011 - 04:34 AM

So my question is why would a person plug up a drain hole when washing a bike? You're stopping the hole from doing the very thing it was designed to do in the first place.

To me it's like saying I put a sock into the shower drain while taking a shower and I don't want water to run out the drain....for some reason....

What am I missing?

Mike

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:12 AM

So my question is why would a person plug up a drain hole when washing a bike? You're stopping the hole from doing the very thing it was designed to do in the first place.

To me it's like saying I put a sock into the shower drain while taking a shower and I don't want water to run out the drain....for some reason....

What am I missing?

Mike

Have to agree with you on that one...I just didn't comment on it.....lol
So, advise to the OP, who sounds like he is in the process of learning about his bike...stop putting golf tee's in that hole when washing bike...:eek:
You can also use a pick of some sort to dig out the broken tee. As long as spark plug is in, and you don't do something crazy like hammer in a nail with a hammer to bash at it, your not going to hurt anything.

• tommyr21

Posted August 21, 2011 - 03:04 PM

I was only plugging the hole because its what i had read to do on these forums. To stop excess water getting in and rusting the plug.. makes sense to me..... anyway. thanks for ur help..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.