Help! Need to clean carb on bike that has been sitting over a year!

3 replies to this topic
  • ktm113mcp

Posted August 20, 2011 - 01:31 AM

Hey guys, I have a predicament. I've got my YZ tore down right now for a rebuild. A friend I was talking to said if I could crank his 04 YZF I could ride it. Here is the problem it has been sitting for close to a year and a half in their garage. They basically bought it on accident, and then have always wanted to high of a price to sell it. Anyways, gas is flowing through the fuel line but I don't think it is getting to the motor, it also want flood and leak out of the bottom when leaned over. I'm taking the carb off now but don't know what to look for, I have never let mine set over a couple weeks with fuel in the carb. So really have never had to clean a carb, I've took them apart just not sure how to trouble shoot them I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!:eek:

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:56 AM

http://www.thumperta...726#post8021726

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Braindonor

Posted August 20, 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hey guys, I have a predicament. I've got my YZ tore down right now for a rebuild. A friend I was talking to said if I could crank his 04 YZF I could ride it. Here is the problem it has been sitting for close to a year and a half in their garage. They basically bought it on accident, and then have always wanted to high of a price to sell it. Anyways, gas is flowing through the fuel line but I don't think it is getting to the motor, it also want flood and leak out of the bottom when leaned over. I'm taking the carb off now but don't know what to look for, I have never let mine set over a couple weeks with fuel in the carb. So really have never had to clean a carb, I've took them apart just not sure how to trouble shoot them I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!:eek:

You will most likely need to replace the needle valve . They get eaten up by this great gas we have. The needle is located just above the floats. You need to remove the pin that the float pivots on. and the needle will come out with the floats as it is connected by a small clip retainer. Clean the rest of the carb with air and carb cleaner. Hope this helps. I'm sure there are other guys here that have even better info on this procedure then me.
I just bought an 04 YS-F 450 with the same problem.

• KYZAAC

Posted August 20, 2011 - 07:16 PM

i had the same problem with a yz450 i just bought recently. the bike was running gross.
i took it apart, removed the jets, floats, needle valve, throttle valve etc. and went to it with carb cleaner and compressed air. i had a small container for the parts and had them sitting in carb cleaner as i was cleaning, use the straw on the carb cleaner to get every orifice you can find followed by compressed air. don't be shy with the stuff, i cleaned everything multiply times before putting it back together. works great now. it even idles lol just make sure not to soak any rubber o-rings in the carb cleaner, it will destroy them.

you may not even need to troubleshoot right away, sometimes a good cleaning is all thats needed. if still no luck after the cleaning, lots of guys on here will be able to tell you what to do next

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.