07 yz450 O-ring question

10 replies to this topic
  • motorcross242

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:52 AM

Last night I took off the left side crankcase cover to re-seal the stator grommet, and while putting back together I cannot figure out how this o-ring fits. The owners manual shows the o-ring as fitting on the case side while the drawing in the thumpertalk store shows it on the other side of the gasket case cover side. Can anyone help me out here.

First Picture is out of my manual, showing the O-ring on the case side. This is how I think it came apart, since this side has a recess for an o-ring...
Posted Image

This picture is from the TT store, showing the O-ring on the cover side of the gasket. I can't imagine this is how it fits? Part # 11 on this sketch
Posted Image

I just noticed that the breather hose holders are pictured different in each picture. The second picture displays this correctly. Is the second picture better than the OEM manual?

Edited by motorcross242, August 19, 2011 - 10:02 AM.

• kawasakikid26

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:23 AM

You could try going onto bike bandit and go to the oem part where theres a diagram and see what that says. Then try which side fits. Does the o-ring not fit on one side? I would go with the manual.

• motorcross242

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Bike Bandit shows the same drawing as the TT store - O-ring on the cover side of the gasket. If i recall correctly, this side does not have a recess, it would just smash the o-ring on this side?

Edited by motorcross242, August 19, 2011 - 10:46 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:48 AM

There are several of these sealed dowel sleeves in the engine assembly. In ALL cases, the O-ring goes in the recess cut for it, regardless of which side of any gasket that places it on, or how the exploded view shows it.

• motorcross242

Posted August 19, 2011 - 11:40 AM

So in theory - only one side will have this recessed channel for an o-ring?

Also, in your experience, how do you go about mitigating these inconsistencies in the manual? This is the first time inside the case and it makes me nervous about doing anything else. If you look at the case bolts, the manual is way off. The case has different size bolts, and the manual does not help. In the first picture it shows the rubber hose hanger at the top of the case, the exploded view on the TT/bike bandit store have it correctly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawasakikid26

Posted August 19, 2011 - 11:56 AM

If two diamgrams show the same i would go with that. you might want to go talk with someone at your local dealer.

• motorcross242

Posted August 19, 2011 - 12:51 PM

That's what I was thinking, but as grayracer513 said it is on the side with the recessed edge which goes along with what the manual shows, but then the TT store and bike bandit are wrong.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2011 - 01:49 PM

One is a parts catalog, and should not be used as an assembly guide. And absolutely every service manual I've ever spent a great deal of time with contains errors. (Don't ever lap your valves on that bike, for instance). Then too, people fail to read the entire book, for obvious reasons, I suppose, and mistakes are made a s a result.

In any case, the fact is that regardless of any illustration or other information to the contrary, the O-ring goes IN the counterbored recess. This prevents it from being crushed or split by being compressed between the two cases, keeps it from slipping out of position or expanding, and prevents it from holding the two cases apart, all of which would create a leak.

With regard to bolt length, that's not too hard to sort out on your own. There will always be some uniformity to the amount of thread contact they all have, for one thing, but here's a tip:

Looking at the Yamaha parts fiche, the bolt part numbers will tell you how long each bolt is and how many are needed. For example, that cover calls for 1 PN 95022-06040-00 and 7 95022-06030-00. The bold section of the number tells you that the 95022-06040-00 is an 6 mm bolt (M6x1.0) that is 40mm long. The others are M6x1.0x30mm.

• kawasakikid26

Posted August 19, 2011 - 04:44 PM

you should ask the dealer. Just call them up.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Just curious about two things:

Who do you think you'll get on the phone at a dealership that will even know there's an O-ring there in the first place, let alone where it goes, and why is it that you don't think I don't know what I'm talking about?

• motorcross242

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:23 AM

I do not even need to question what grayracer says. I took the cover off to double check everything. This o-ring sits nicely only on one side, the recessed side. He's right. /thread

Just one thing to add - I would take grayracer's recommendation over an "expert" mechanic any day! (and I have - Maxima FFT, Regina Chain, Lube, Oil, Sprockets). I would pay the man to teach me.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.