things to look out for when buying second hand wr450 '06

11 replies to this topic
  • friartuckshop

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:09 PM

I am looking to purchase a 2006 wr450, it has done 3000km, other than the obvious questions about service history, what other question will i need to ask. Or what problems should i be looking out for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:50 PM

See how easy it starts up. use the kick starter. a slow and really smooth kick will be all it needs.

Look for wear around the frame and bottom of the bike. It will show how hard its been ridden.

check for cracked rims and a bent subframe.

Assuming the engine checks out and it runs good, you have nothing to worry about.

expect to grease all bearings, replace the piston rings (not the piston) and thoroughly clean the carb.

These bikes are darn near bulletproof.

• friartuckshop

Posted August 19, 2011 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the advice. is there any way to tell if there is a problem with valves and or there adjustments. I just just really dont want to drop a heap of money then have to spend a whole heap more on a major service. But i think the only way to be sure if thier is a service history. Again thanks heaps

• MANIAC998

Posted August 19, 2011 - 04:10 AM

One fairly accurate way to find out if the valves are tightening up is to take it on a good test ride and get it good and warm. If the bike doesn't like to start when it's hot, the valves might be starting to tighten. It's not the only thing that'll cause it not to fire when hot, but it's one cause. Also, if you hear it "cough" thru the carb while trying to start, your intakes might be tight. And like Maurice said, these things are nearly indestructible!!! Good luck. Maniac

• dgcars

Posted August 19, 2011 - 04:46 AM

I'm asked all the time to look over used bikes that come up for sale. I will always pull the oil filter. It takes less than a minute. This has told some stories.....

• YamaLink

Posted August 19, 2011 - 05:27 AM

Does it start hot and does it start cold?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the advice. is there any way to tell if there is a problem with valves and or there adjustments. I just just really dont want to drop a heap of money then have to spend a whole heap more on a major service. But i think the only way to be sure if thier is a service history. Again thanks heaps

Like I said, look for wear. Look underneath the bike. try to guage how long and hard its been ridden.

But this is a WR. Its not like other bikes. If it starts and runs good, you can assume that the valves are good. You won't believe how much punishment they take. You'd hardly believe how much I've abused my own bike.

I finally did a top end (piston and rings) last year after well over 8K miles. No valve adjustment or head work needed. It still ran great. A couple of months ago, I lost the water pump seal and overheated the bike to where it shut off. I was deep in the middle of nowhere so I ran that bike with no coolant for a couple of hours, up and down hills with it shutting off every minute. I would let it cool a bit, start it back up and then run it for another minute til it would shut off again. No coolant or fluid at all. When I finally got it home , I replace the water pump seal and the bike fires right up and runs like nothing ever happened.

If that won't tear up the engine, then nothing will. I could easily run this bike another few years. The engine is not the risk on the wr's. Look at everything else.

• friartuckshop

Posted August 20, 2011 - 03:29 PM

So basicaly, these bike are trouble free in the higher Ks if proper matinance is done? I am hope to inspect the bike later on today, so will use all the good advice thats been given. Just as a side note on an older bike what sort of intervals should the oil and filter be replaced? i know what type of enviroment you have been riding in plays a major factor, but i only ride a road bike and i change that every every 6 months or about 2000kms. Thanks again

• strtdsmallproject

Posted August 20, 2011 - 03:49 PM

the starters are expensive besides that everything is cheap and easy to work on. Another thing i check as far as how hard a bike has been treated is look at the radiators.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 20, 2011 - 10:08 PM

So basicaly, these bike are trouble free in the higher Ks if proper matinance is done? I am hope to inspect the bike later on today, so will use all the good advice thats been given. Just as a side note on an older bike what sort of intervals should the oil and filter be replaced? i know what type of enviroment you have been riding in plays a major factor, but i only ride a road bike and i change that every every 6 months or about 2000kms. Thanks again

I change my oil every 2nd or 3rd ride which for me is about 70 miles or so per ride.

I change the filter every other oil change. They are cheap. My bike has been running for years.

• mongial

Posted August 22, 2011 - 06:47 PM

I change my oil every 2nd or 3rd ride which for me is about 70 miles or so per ride.

I change the filter every other oil change. They are cheap. My bike has been running for years.

Same practice I have done on my last 2 Yamaha Thumpers. Got rid of an 02 YZ 426 two years ago that I had from new and still can not believe the punishment that bike took without a hiccup or any costly repair. Hoping that my 09 WR is just as good to me (has been so far).

• friartuckshop

Posted August 23, 2011 - 03:07 AM

Still waiting to see the bike. But been in contact with owner, he has stated that the bike has had very little use over the last 18 months. only been ridden in anger 3 times. The last time it was fired up was 2 months ago and it fired up on the third kick. So it sounds promising. Struggling to find the time to view the bike, work commitments but hopefully in the coming days i can see it. will keep people informed. Thanks again

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.