First oil change, what did i do wrong.

18 replies to this topic
  • sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:18 PM

04 YZ450F. idled it for about 5 minutes, took the oil fill cap off, pulled the drain bolt, Drained, pulled the old oil filter out, put new one in, put in 1qt, idled for another couple minutes, went to check oil level pulled the dipstick and it spit a bunch of oil out..

What did I do wrong and how do i fix it without hurting it?

• thumpharder

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:25 PM

First, was it running when you pulled the stick? that will do it.
Not running? then did you put the filter on the right way?
If you made it past that, then is there a case breather that is plugged, or takes awhile to vent because it's dirty or full of oil?
Check that all is correct and clean and see what happens, probably didn't hurt anything, didn't run long it sounds

• sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:30 PM

First, was it running when you pulled the stick? that will do it.
Not running? then did you put the filter on the right way?
If you made it past that, then is there a case breather that is plugged, or takes awhile to vent because it's dirty or full of oil?
Check that all is correct and clean and see what happens, probably didn't hurt anything, didn't run long it sounds

no not running when i pulled the stick, wasnt off for long though. about 90% sure i put the oil filter on the same way the old one came off. Not sure what a "Case Breather" is. =(

• ekulb14

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:33 PM

sounds like some bad luck, you did everything fine though.

• Boerklong

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Breather is the pipe on the top of the motor. You will see a black pipe that comes out the top of the motor (beneath the fuel tank) . Its a pipe that allows the motor to breathe. Comes of easily. Take it off, run a piece of wire through it tied to a piece of rope. Pull the rope through, make a knot in the rope and then pull the knot through the pipe. Should clean her right up!

• sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:32 PM

Breather is the pipe on the top of the motor. You will see a black pipe that comes out the top of the motor (beneath the fuel tank) . Its a pipe that allows the motor to breathe. Comes of easily. Take it off, run a piece of wire through it tied to a piece of rope. Pull the rope through, make a knot in the rope and then pull the knot through the pipe. Should clean her right up!

Checked it. its clear.

pulled the oil filter, RE-Drained the oil again, idled it for a bit again, same thing. Oil spews out the dipstick hole.
Oil filter did have oil going to it when i pulled it.

any other suggestions?

Craaaaaap. Terrified of Ceasing a bike i just bought..

• sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:41 PM

First oil change on a 4t. "New to me" bike.
04 YZ450F. idled it for about 5 minutes, took the oil fill cap off, pulled the drain bolt, Drained, pulled the old oil filter out, put new one in, put in 1qt, idled for another couple minutes, went to check oil level pulled the dipstick and it spit a bunch of oil out..

in fear i did something wrong I idled it again, drained it again, took out oil new oil filter, inspected, reinstalled all parts and put some more oil in, idled and SAME THING.. im terrified im going to seize the engine..

What did I do wrong and how do i fix it without hurting it?

• sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Sooooo im reading around and hearing that these YZ450F may have a "frame drain bolt"? can anyone confirm?

• BBrown626

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:55 PM

It is normal. You have to wait a while and then open cautiously.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Soo poking around on the internet, Do these bikes have a Frame drain bolt also?

• ONE FAST 450

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:02 PM

your bike is a dry sump, after the motor warms up it stays in the frame. dip stick is on the top of where the oil is and the drain plug is on the bottom in the front. if you did not pull that one then it sounds like you have to much oil after the change. the oil filter will only go in the correct way.

• BBrown626

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:08 PM

At the bottom of the square frame tube that the dip stick goes into. It is at the front/forward side of the frame if I recall correctly.
I had an '04. It was a great bike.

• sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:10 PM

your bike is a dry sump, after the motor warms up it stays in the frame. dip stick is on the top of where the oil is and the drain plug is on the bottom in the front. if you did not pull that one then it sounds like you have to much oil after the change. the oil filter will only go in the correct way.

gooooootcha.. K now i feel like a dumbsh*t. Lol. I usually have a Clymer for my bikes but i cant find one for this bike..

Thanks for the info ill quit freaking out and drain the frame tomorrow.. LOL.

• sneek24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:32 PM

At the bottom of the square frame tube that the dip stick goes into. It is at the front/forward side of the frame if I recall correctly.
I had an '04. It was a great bike.

Ok.. Cool ill quit freakin out now. Lol.. Hate that I cant find a Clymer for this bike.. But thank you so much for the responses. Ill do it correctly tomorrow. and ya I LOVE this bike.. Never though I would give up my 2t but this bike is a monster.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:06 PM

gooooootcha.. K now i feel like a dumbsh*t. Lol. I usually have a Clymer for my bikes but i cant find one for this bike..

Thanks for the info ill quit freaking out and drain the frame tomorrow.. LOL.

Heed this website.

http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2011 - 07:07 AM

OMG....

Yes, and the frame being the oil tank, that's where almost all the oil is unless the bike's been standing for a few days. You took a bike that has a 1.2L capacity, drained probably less than 300cc, and added 1.2L. No wonder oil came out the top :eek:

Here's some info:

Oil Change Procedure

Dry Sump Oiling Explained

Service Manual Dowloads:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• jasen 2007

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:02 AM

Well glad you figured it out. I bet you have downloaded the service manual by now and have read it from cover to cover... I'm sure your no the first one to have this happen, just be happy that you didn't do serious damage. Just out of curiosity, didn't you think it was strange you were adding a hell of a lo more oil than you were draining?

• williec

Posted August 20, 2011 - 11:50 AM

yes this bike has a frame drain bolt. if you follow down the neck of the frame you will see the drain bolt. that might be your issue.....toooooo much oil. if not, then ride it. :eek:

• DaveC928

Posted August 21, 2011 - 05:29 AM

I have an '04 and yes there is a frame drain bolt in front. It is right above where the lower frame tubes are welded to the main frame section. This must be drained as well as the engine case. Total oil capacity with a filter change is 1.27 qts. When checking oil, make sure engine is only warmed for about 3 min and the shut off before you pull the dipstick. If the engine is too hot, it will also overflow out the dipstick hole.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.