Sprockets/Gear Ratios

2 replies to this topic
  • Strick

Posted September 10, 2003 - 06:15 AM

After struggling in certain situations with the 14/45 gearing on my newly purchased '02 WR426. I am in need of changing the ratio. I am used to riding an '02 400SX with a close ratio gear box and 13/52 gearing. The gap between 1st & 2nd on this WR is TOO much. Going from 1st to 2nd on the WR is the same as going from 1st to 3rd on my SX. I am thinking about going 48 on the rear. I ride and race desert, but for those who don't know, desert doesn't necessarily mean open. We face some VERY gnarly tight areas, and tight single track. Or should I go back to stock and throw a 50t on the rear. Any suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PowerFiend

Posted September 10, 2003 - 07:18 AM

Unless you really need the top-end speed, going back to stock or close should help. I always try to gear so that I can avoid 1st as much as possible. :)

• captain_S

Posted September 10, 2003 - 09:59 AM

I have tried a 14/51 combo that is very good for slower riding(bike revs out way to fast in top though)the standard 14/50 is not to bad for most conditions(if you don`t need high top speed),just now i`m trying out a 15/51 combo and it feels ok for fast open riding(helps keep the revs down in top gear)but motor will not rev out as fast with taller gears,i`m tempted to recomend you try a 14/49,you should find the bike will pick up the revs faster,but at the end of the day it`s down to what works best for you,but after a 45 going up over a 50 to start with may feel like you lost 5th gear :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.