First Time Taking apart the 2000 YZ426F

5 replies to this topic
  • Ricks426

Posted August 17, 2011 - 01:14 PM

This will be the first time taking apart my my 2000 426, any advice on what to watch out for, what to take measurements of? any help would be appreciated.

• niles

Posted August 18, 2011 - 02:06 AM

Follow the manual and measure everything you can. Are you from Ontario Canada or U.S?

• Ricks426

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:37 AM

Ontario

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jcm3

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:54 AM

This will be the first time taking apart my my 2000 426, any advice on what to watch out for, what to take measurements of? any help would be appreciated.

What are you taking apart specifically?

Just take your time, set things out and in order, and take some digital pics when you are not sure. I always like to screw bolts back in a few threads if I can, so that it reduces the chance that you forget which one goes where. Make sure to get a flywheel puller if you plan to swap out the cam chain.

I screwed up one of my chain guides when I did my top end (it was pretty old and crusty, but I also didn't put it in right), but other than that, everything went well and it started quickly.

This was my first piston/rings job (also did the HotCams and cam chain), and there sure are alot of parts on the work bench compared to the two strokes that I gew up with.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2011 - 01:19 PM

Something that is very helpful is one or more of the plastic small parts organizer boxes with 2" or larger compartments. As you remove each set of bolts, place them in a separate partition, starting at the upper left, moving to the right as you would when writing. Put the cam cover bolts in the first one, the cam cap bolts in the next, and so on. When you're ready to assemble, work in the reverse direction from the last compartment you filled.

Even though I can take a box of scrambled bolts and lay them out on a bench according to where they go, I do this quite often anyway, as it speeds up reassembly by reducing the time taken to find the right bolts for what you're putting together.

• zlathim

Posted August 18, 2011 - 02:20 PM

^^^^^^^^^

That's a prety good method.

I like to take a medium sized cardboard box, use a pencil to poke small holes through it, then put the bolts through the holes. I group stuff together, then use a sharpie to write on the box to label what the bolts are for. This method has worked fairly well for me over the years.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.