Question for 2010 YZ 450f Owners

27 replies to this topic
  • THE BLUE MANDM

Posted August 17, 2011 - 12:37 PM

My son is riding a 2010 YZ 450f in hare scrambles and desert races.
He's no slouch, a fast A rider.Top five consistently, when he was riding his '08 YZ450f.
He is not happy with the bike at all. Says it is unpredictable both engine wise and suspension.
Can anyone shed some light on these concerns?
Any free mods on this forum or any other mods that have been working for you?

• grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2011 - 01:35 PM

"Unpredictable" is pretty vague.

• THE-OG-694

Posted August 17, 2011 - 03:36 PM

Unpredictable? I have the 11 (same bike) and that is not a word i would use to describe this bike. was it used? If so is it stock or wrenched on? Brand new out of the box my 11 is the best bike I’ve ever ridden. With that said i still made it fit my style a little. Bars, PC link, yosh pipe...

• richardnoggin

Posted August 17, 2011 - 03:41 PM

what -og-694 said,my 11 is sweet.power is great(last race took 4 out of 4 holeshots)all you have to do is think turn and your turning.The aircleaner sound was the only thing that was weird for me but now i do not even hear it.This bike smokes brudah!

• dalonar

Posted August 17, 2011 - 03:59 PM

i had an 08, now a 10 and love it. was night and day different!

• YamaLink

Posted August 17, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Presumably both the new bike and the 08 are set up nicely since a racer's life depends on safety and "flow" at speed.
As others have asked...

Was the 2010 purchased used? Maybe the springs are not stock or even right for your son's weight.
Define vague.
Did he have a bad crash early on with the new bike?

• darius228

Posted August 17, 2011 - 05:01 PM

When I bought my 10 (september '10) I thought it was the best bike ever. I bought it at the end of the racing season and rode through the winter. After a few races this year my results were showing I was not doing as well, actually gone backwards and it sucks seeing my riding buddies pass me up. I've gotten on other bikes 09-newer kawis and 09 and newer hondas and felt great and right at the speed I used to be. Unpredictable is the exact word I use, I've had more close calls than id like to ever have. Now im stuck on the couch with a broken leg and heel because the last close call ended in a big crash. Once I get back to work and pay a little more on this thing its down the road for something red or green.

• darius228

Posted August 17, 2011 - 05:06 PM

To add. I don't feel I should have to spend a few thousand on suspension, clamps, a damper, a pipe and programmer as my friends have to make it an even playing field with other brands stock bikes

• Troutman

Posted August 17, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Best bike I have ever owned and IMO a big step up from the last generation YZF's like my 06. Turns better, better suspension, better throttle response, feels allot lighter, so on and so on.... only mod it really needed was a pipe to help the revs up top.

• THE-OG-694

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:27 AM

To add. I don't feel I should have to spend a few thousand on suspension, clamps, a damper, a pipe and programmer as my friends have to make it an even playing field with other brands stock bikes

LMAO....You are very confused my friend, A Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or a KTM owner would have to spend a bunch of cash to get there suspension even close to the new stock Yamaha KYB. Just set your sag and ride. As far as the motor, add 2 teeth to the rear and if you feel the need slap on a pipe. Any problems you have after that are purely operator error....

:eek: YAMAHA, :smirk: THE REST.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:51 AM

set sag, rekluse pro, scotts damper, 49-50 tooth rear sprocket and go win

• johnny6speed

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:36 AM

I believe people let some magazine reviews and Bubba Stewarts performance on the bike cloud their judgement of this bike. Having a pre-defined opinion of how the bike is going to perform before you step on the pegs is going to effect how you perceive the experience. Your brain is only as smart as the user. Thinking that a mass produced bike does not require any adjustments to suit your height, weight, and riding ability is not realistic.

• jcm3

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:46 AM

I believe people let some magazine reviews and Bubba Stewarts performance on the bike cloud their judgement of this bike.

<responding to 'people' not you>

Funny, I have read alot of that also. Seems as though alot of people think Bubba's performance on the bike show that it is sketchy at speed. But, when he won, he WON! I'm not a big Bubba fan anymore (more of a Dungey fan now), but he was head and shoulders above the competition, or he would crash. Alot of his wrecks were little drops, or spectacular crashes from either flat out crashing into people, or blitzing the whoops faster than anyone else and losing control. His crash at Daytona was another example of just a mistake, lifting the front wheel while going off of a double and going over the bars.

Yamahas seems to have more in the top 20 than any other brand at most of the nationals, but unfortunately for them they don't have a top-tier rider racing the outdoors.

I'm not a fast rider, so I am not trying to belittle anyone who feels that the bike is not up to snuff. But, seems to be a personal feel and a setup thing.

Edited by jcm3, August 18, 2011 - 08:05 AM.

• darius228

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:35 AM

LMAO....You are very confused my friend, A Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or a KTM owner would have to spend a bunch of cash to get there suspension even close to the new stock Yamaha KYB. Just set your sag and ride. As far as the motor, add 2 teeth to the rear and if you feel the need slap on a pipe. Any problems you have after that are purely operator error....

:eek: YAMAHA, :smirk: THE REST.....

Well I didn't just bash the bike I loved it for a long time. Once race season came my results weren't what they used to be period. I set my sag, put on a good chain and sprockets ( moving up to a 49 tooth). Also I eventually put on a lowering link to help stability. Bottom line is im not where I was last year and I just don't feel at home on the bike, yet I feel great on the red and green bikes I've ridden right away. Im not a brand loyal die hard, I just want the best bike and im not too proud to admit my bike isn't the best bike just because I spent 7,200 dollars on it

• THE-OG-694

Posted August 18, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Well I didn't just bash the bike I loved it for a long time. Once race season came my results weren't what they used to be period. I set my sag, put on a good chain and sprockets ( moving up to a 49 tooth). Also I eventually put on a lowering link to help stability. Bottom line is im not where I was last year and I just don't feel at home on the bike, yet I feel great on the red and green bikes I've ridden right away. Im not a brand loyal die hard, I just want the best bike and im not too proud to admit my bike isn't the best bike just because I spent 7,200 dollars on it

Maybe your comp has stepped it up a few seconds a lap...lol...

• darius228

Posted August 18, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Maybe the bike just doesn't suit my style, the guy asked. I shared my opinion simple as that.

• THE-OG-694

Posted August 18, 2011 - 06:32 PM

Maybe the bike just doesn't suit my style, the guy asked. I shared my opinion simple as that.

It suited your style last season, but became unsuited as soon as you started getting beat....hmmmm sounds like the problem is with your style...lol....:eek::thumbsup:

• BBrown626

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Maybe it is that lowering link? Setup is everything and minor changes make a big difference.
No denying though that blue bikes are not making it onto the podium at the Nationals. Lots of Green, yellow and Red with only flashes of blue and orange. Bubba or RV can put any color bike on the top step.

• darius228

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:23 PM

It suited your style last season, but became unsuited as soon as you started getting beat....hmmmm sounds like the problem is with your style...lol....:eek::thumbsup:

I thought it was cool when I bought it and rode it during the winter..... when there weren't any races..... then in the spring when race time came I realized the newness had worn off and saw where me and the bike really were. Is a matter of opinion that wrong and offensive to you? I said I've ridden other bikes and moto'd with the same buddies and I am in fact faster on hondas and kawis. Sorry our opinions and life experience isn't the same.

• darius228

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Maybe it is that lowering link? Setup is everything and minor changes make a big difference.
No denying though that blue bikes are not making it onto the podium at the Nationals. Lots of Green, yellow and Red with only flashes of blue and orange. Bubba or RV can put any color bike on the top step.

Could be, I put the link on during a local supercross (more arenacross) series and it did seem to help out with the type of track it is, my results are good and until I broke my leg I was leading the points..... specifically I hate how it handles on rough fast tracks with sweeping corners. Its all over the place, pushes in corners and my describing word is unpredictable

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.