Stator Line Case Plug / Oil Filter Question 07 YZ450FW

6 replies to this topic
  • motorcross242

Posted August 17, 2011 - 11:56 AM

Can anyone tell me what the best way to seal the stater line plug into the case is? I noticed that the white/grey sealant that was once there is starting to fall out and I'd like to know how does everyone seal it. I used Permatex No.2 non hardening sealant and its a mess, tried spreading it with my finger, then tried a small flat head screw driver. How do you get a nice even bead along this plug? How do you get along the back side of the plug, there is no way a tube of sealant can fit? How necessary is it to get a perfect seal on this?

I noticed while changing my oil the other day that the oil filter rubber gasket ring that calls out to be greased was a little off center where it smashes into the oil intake... The ring impression was way off center. Putting the new filter on, i noticed there is some wiggle room. Anyway to get that ring impression perfect in the middle? I'll take pictures when I get home I guess

Edited by motorcross242, August 17, 2011 - 02:41 PM.

• motorcross242

Posted August 17, 2011 - 08:46 PM

:eek: anyone?

• dgcars

Posted August 17, 2011 - 10:59 PM

The screw in plugs are sealed with an 'O' ring. The oil filter....I haven't a clue what you mean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motorcross242

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:00 AM

The wires that come out of the case are not screwed in. Im talking about this:
Posted Image

I've searched and some call it the "grommet". There is a small bead of silicone that seals this from the factory.
Posted Image

Should I split this case cover and silicone this grommet and install new case gasket and be done with it or just put a bead of silicone on the top and call it a day?

• dgcars

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:05 AM

Sometimes more is not better. Clean it all down with brake cleaner or other suitable solvent, then apply a thin layer of yamabond or threebond to the sealing surfaces. Leave a few hours to dry and that should sort it.

• motorcross242

Posted August 18, 2011 - 08:09 AM

Ok, the sealant that I pulled off is only at the top of the grommet, hopefully if it was sealed the way in the pictures I wont have any problem.

Any idea where I can get Yamabond? Order it through the dealer? I thought I read online that this is discontinued?

• dgcars

Posted August 18, 2011 - 09:59 AM

Threebond, hondabond all the same stuff. Try e-bay for a small tube.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.