New Springs,Better turning

7 replies to this topic
  • WR250fla

Posted September 09, 2003 - 05:31 PM

I got new springs front and rear and it was a very worth while investment. Not only does it track better thru the whoops and ruff stuff, my 450 turns much better thru single track or berms. I weight around 200 lbs. and my mech. said I had bent the {rear}stock spring and we couldn't set the sag properly on it anymore. I just didn't know what a better handling bike it would be overall.

• TWSimpson

Posted September 10, 2003 - 03:06 AM

What springs did you put in? I take it you run a lot on MX track. :)

• WR250fla

Posted September 10, 2003 - 10:46 AM

The springs were from Race Tech. The rear is a 5.6 I think, I forgot what the fronts are. The only motocross I ride is when a motocross track is part of a harescramble course, so I ride very little moto-x.

• AkRider

Posted September 10, 2003 - 08:42 PM

Did you do the work your self or have the shop do it? Did you change the oil in the shock? I am thinking of doing the samething to mine. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR250fla

Posted September 11, 2003 - 08:39 AM

I had a guy who specializes in suspension work do it for me. It only took him a little over an hour to do both front and rear. It would have taken half a day for me...
I didn't change the oil,because I am going to have the front end serviced in a couple of months.

• jwriott

Posted September 11, 2003 - 08:47 AM

How do you bend a spring that's mounted on a shock? It's moving in only 1 plane. You may have needed new springs for your weight but damage to the spring sounds a little odd. Was the shock damaged? Seems like he fed you a line of B.S.

Did you keep the spring?

• WR250fla

Posted September 11, 2003 - 12:30 PM

This guy has worked on my bikes for over 30 years. He also sets up alot of bikes for some of the best riders in Florida. He told me he thought the rear spring was bent after he had already installed the new one and had nothing to gain by bullshi**** me. This guy knows his stuff AND is fast as hell(Master A rider).

• Dan_from_HB

Posted September 11, 2003 - 04:11 PM

Did you do the work your self or have the shop do it? Did you change the oil in the shock? I am thinking of doing the samething to mine. :)

The forks are one thing. But I wouldn't attempt the shock unless you have the high pressure nitrogen thing fully understood. High pressure gas is like a small bomb going off if you make the wrong move.
Just a thought.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.