mystery problem!!!

8 replies to this topic
  • dagwood1971

Posted August 16, 2011 - 11:31 AM

hi guys,new on here so hello to all members.
my nephew has decided to sell his bike which is indentical to mine (wr450 / 2004) but we have come across a problem that has us scratching our heads.
bike rides fine,gears all ok,but stand bike in neutral and roll backwards and the rear wheel locks up,this happens if engine is both running or off!
can anyone help us and tell us your thoughts or has anyone else encountered the same problem!
many thanks,nick dalby,uk. :eek:

• 36MotoMarc

Posted August 16, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Absolutely TRASHED chain and sprockets. Take off chain and turn countershaft sprocket backwards. Then do it with the rear wheel. I'll bet no lockup problems, but if it does you can isolate the problem in this manner.

• William1

Posted August 16, 2011 - 11:59 AM

It can also be caused by the kick start idler.

• dagwood1971

Posted August 16, 2011 - 12:44 PM

c+s are nearly new! thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamiryder

Posted August 16, 2011 - 12:46 PM

c+s are nearly new! thanks

What is "nearly" new?

• gjscott

Posted August 16, 2011 - 01:20 PM

As William1 said, could be the kickstarter idler, try pushing the bike while maybe moving or holding the kickstart lever and see if you can feel any pressure on it.
My hypothesis may be a load of crap but I would try it just to see.

• dagwood1971

Posted August 16, 2011 - 02:03 PM

used for 2/3 on a laning session!

• dagwood1971

Posted August 16, 2011 - 02:04 PM

thanks,will try in the morning.

• dagwood1971

Posted August 16, 2011 - 02:04 PM

thx william,will try that,gotta start somewhere!cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.