Cheap tricks to get more power out of 02 yz426f?

7 replies to this topic
  • joshr2007

Posted August 16, 2011 - 06:54 AM

I am just looking for some minor twists and turns of wrenches that people have done over the years to squeeze out more go juice out of the bike. Also thought about having a hot cams put in are they worth it? I hear a lot of good things.

• whyzee426F

Posted August 16, 2011 - 02:47 PM

Yep, get a hot cam exhaust cam or a yz450 exhaust cam...eliminates decompression lever and will give you more grunt and smooth out the hit. FMF powerbomb with the factory muffler is what I run and the bike is fast. I also have jet kit. If you're riding mx, my experience has been you'll override the suspension before you run out of power.

• Ryan426

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:53 PM

I am just looking for some minor twists and turns of wrenches that people have done over the years to squeeze out more go juice out of the bike.

Keep that oil and air filter freash and clean is #1.

• ttr250dude

Posted August 18, 2011 - 10:05 PM

Jetting. NO JET KIT!! Jet kits are good and dandy and you'll notice a difference but if you want spot-on jetting specific for your elevation, temps, humidity, mods, etc., you really should do the jetting yourself. Spend less than $30 and you'll notice a difference, probably the best bang for your buck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zakrad_u

Posted August 18, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Jetting. NO JET KIT!! Jet kits are good and dandy and you'll notice a difference but if you want spot-on jetting specific for your elevation, temps, humidity, mods, etc., you really should do the jetting yourself. Spend less than $30 and you'll notice a difference, probably the best bang for your buck.

Jet kits are a bunch of jets in them, why no? They are good for people that don't know what their jetting should be at , if they did they could buy 1 or 2 jets, but the kit gives a lot of options, perfect for a beginner or if you plan on adding mods later on that require a jetting change

• ttr250dude

Posted August 18, 2011 - 10:28 PM

They are good for people that don't know what their jetting should be at

There is plenty of info regarding jetting for these bikes on this site, even a jetting database. Should take no more than 20 minutes to get a very close, solid starting point.

perfect if you plan on adding mods later on that require a jetting change

Spend an initial $30 on jetting, then do mods and spend another $10 on different jets, and you still spend way less money than a jet kit.

If someone can dial in jetting using the supplied jets from a jet kit, why wouldn't they be able to dial in their jetting using individual jets bought from a dealer?

Any question a beginner may have about jetting can be answered here right on TT.

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Jet kits are a bunch of jets in them, why no? They are good for people that don't know what their jetting should be at , if they did they could buy 1 or 2 jets, but the kit gives a lot of options, perfect for a beginner or if you plan on adding mods later on that require a jetting change

What makes you think that the people who put the jet kit together know where your jetting should be? Jet kits use a one size fits all mentality, and get away with it based on the fact that four strokes are enormously tolerant of incorrect jetting.

My biggest gripe with many of them is that they use custom made needles that cannot be easily referenced against those available from Keihin, and which require the use of larger than normal main jets that also make it difficult to cross reference to factory parts.

Read the tuning section of the YZF manual, and this thread:

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

There isn't anything you can do with a jet kit that can't be done at least as well (usually better) with parts from Yamaha or Sudco.

• ttr250dude

Posted August 19, 2011 - 09:50 AM

There isn't anything you can do with a jet kit that can't be done at least as well (usually better) with parts from Yamaha or Sudco.

X2 :eek:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.