radiator cages for pwr stage 3 radiators????

4 replies to this topic
  • stlyamadude

Posted August 15, 2011 - 06:30 PM

I have an 08 and recently put pwr stage 3 radiators with the oil cooler .......I want to put some cages on to protect my 650$ rads....i want the moose cages but I am not sure they will fit the thicker taller rads as well as clear the oil lines.....anyone know if the moose will fit or another of equal strength?????? Thanks for any ideas.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:49 AM

I'm *sort of* going through a similar deal on my '06. I've ordered a set of Chinese radiators that claim to have a 40mm core thickness. Stock rads seem to be only around 22mm thick, by my calipers, if I'm measuring at the correct spot.... :smirk: So this means it'll probably be a "fab/modify' deal to graft some guards on....

I made some phone calls yesterday to the folks at Bullet Proof Designs, and to Devol Engineering/Racing. Both places said their guards won't work with bigger radiators.... :worthy:

But in this thread (please click here) that I started a day or so ago, one member seems to think that there may be some brands that would possibly be "adaptable". I tend to agree with him. The trick will be finding the ones that seem to be the easiest to modify, with the least time & expense, I'm thinking.... I just hope I don't go thru a buncha "time & expense" finding the ones that will work.... To me, the Devols look like they'd be easiest to adapt, but I dunno yet.... :eek: I'm not partial to any one brand. I just feel that some sorta guard, any sorta guard, would be better than none....

Please let us know if you find anything out about this....

Jimmie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stlyamadude

Posted August 16, 2011 - 03:34 PM

Ya I don't care what beNd they are either just so that they work...I think that i heard the moose cages will work but an not sure yet...I have the cookery lines that run low into the left tank so I'm affraid it will hit there....I have flirted with the idea trying to alter which ever ones I buy....thanks for your input n let me know if u figure out an answer to our problem....

• stlyamadude

Posted August 24, 2011 - 06:23 PM

FYI I ordered the moose rad cages because that's what i really wanted and the guy told me they should work......lol. yep!!!!!!! They surely didn't!!!!!! I'm upset....going to send them back and start over....I really like the bulk and design of the moose!!!!! I wish tjey fit....back to square one.......

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 25, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Man, Stlyamadude, for the life of me,I don't know how they thought those cages would work with thicker-than-stock radiators...... :)

I really liked the Moose radiator cages I had on my 300 KTM, but from what I saw of mine, they absoutely wouldn't work on anything thicker than the stock radiators.......

My GYTR radiator cages I have for my YZ (similar to the Moose cages) won't work on my thicker radiators. Sadly, neither will my gas tank, unless my Dr. D. lowering kit solves that pesky little problem...... :) And I never could find a radiator guard to work with the lowering kit..... :lol:

I guess we'll have to keep sluggin' away at this..... I'm busy working on my house while it's not raining here on the west side of the Cascades, so haven't had much time to work on the bike this week.....

Jimmie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.