third gear?

2 replies to this topic
  • nozzlejockey

Posted June 21, 2001 - 10:17 AM

I'd like to get your opinions on using third gear through out the entire track. I tried this last night at practice and felt as though I was faster. I was able to lug and clutch out of tight corners and hook up better. anyway, does any one else do this? Of course I up shift for the straights. I also got my first hole shot on my third race ever. 15 riders on the gate. How do I get smiles on my post because I would like one right here. :D :) :D

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-21-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted June 21, 2001 - 11:19 AM

Click on the smile legend to the left, where you make your post. It will provide the instruction :D

I did read an article at MXA. They recommended you gear your bike to be able to run third all the time or at least most of the time.

Good Luck

Bill :)

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-21-2001).]

• Scott_F

Posted June 22, 2001 - 05:05 AM

Clutch use is bike abuse. :)

The concensus is to not use the clutch in turns. On most tracks I used second for everything but the fastest straights and biggest jumps. That's with 14/50 sprockets. But, I'm a revver not a lugger.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.