Backfire screen removed...dangerous?

7 replies to this topic
  • holeshot426

Posted September 09, 2003 - 02:50 PM

I cut out the backfire screen on my stock filter cage. Im running a No-Toil filter with No-Toil oil. What do you think the likelyhood of filter burn is? My bike is jetted killer right now, havent ever heard a backfire. It did feel like it was breathing better, and finally got rid of that damn whistle! Just curious what everyone's opinion is...

• rohar

Posted September 09, 2003 - 03:10 PM

Strictly speaking it's dangerous. What's the probablity of it actually happening? Who knows... but TwinAir makes a filter for these cases. It is laminated with a special fire retardent foam compound. MX Action talked about it a while back. You may want to look at it. On the other hand, in the same article they mentioned they have been cutting the backfire screen out for years and have never burned down a bike... :)

• yamahasocal450

Posted September 09, 2003 - 03:15 PM

i think its twin air might be no toil also but they said its just like installing a new pipe... sounds great to me :)

• dominator426

Posted September 10, 2003 - 11:49 AM

I've put over 4500 miles without the screen and I've had no problems. Mine is also well jetted and never backfires in the intake. I run a UNI filter with Maxima FFT synthetic filter oil...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRSTEVE

Posted September 10, 2003 - 01:46 PM

I also have cut mine out and had no problems. Twin Air makes a Power Flow Kit which will be installed on my bike soon. here is the link.

http://www.twinairus.../powerflow.html

• dominator426

Posted September 10, 2003 - 03:13 PM

Think it's worth the $$$, WR Steve? Check out this "Air screen removal kit" post ...

• beezer

Posted September 11, 2003 - 06:22 AM

I would be careful with that modification.

The kid down the streets mothers cousin did that and was severely injured.

There was a backfire and the whole back end of the bike blew off.

• holeshot426

Posted September 11, 2003 - 08:52 AM

Hey, that happened to me last night after I ate a whole can of beans and weenies..... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.