2010 YZ450 Head Damage

23 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2011 - 10:58 AM

You can probably reuse most of them, especially if you heat the case to 250 ℉ before removing them. The trouble is that you can spot a bad one, but there's no way to know how long before a good one goes bad. The left side main shaft bearing is the most prone to failure, so I wouldn't reuse it. If you decide to reuse the mains, be very critical in your inspection. I would call that case repairable, BTW.

• BBrown626

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:26 PM

You can probably reuse most of them, especially if you heat the case to 250 ℉ before removing them. The trouble is that you can spot a bad one, but there's no way to know how long before a good one goes bad. The left side main shaft bearing is the most prone to failure, so I wouldn't reuse it. If you decide to reuse the mains, be very critical in your inspection. I would call that case repairable, BTW.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I was able to split the case wednesday evening. I discovered the root cause of my problems is that 5th gear broke. One of the cogs/dogs on the side of the gear broke off, along with a good chunk of the root of that cog. When that chunk passed through my oil pump drive the deflection of the pump or the passing of the piece broke a portion of my right side cover too. Not an important part though.

Inspection of the bearings found that the left side main has slight irregularity to the rotation. It may be due to debris from the gear damage, but it isn't worth the risk. I feel the same about the rest of the bearings. They are cheap in comparison to the labor required to replace them later.

Out of curiosity I searched this forum for posts about broken transmission gears on the 2010 and there are several. I went to the KXF450 forum and I didn't find any posts about broken gears. Are broken gear problems unique to YZ's? My '04 suffered broken gears and then worn drive cogs causing gears to disengage. My '08 had problems with the drive cogs on the side too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2011 - 05:37 PM

There aren't as many KXF's as YZF's, so I don't know if it's fair to use absolute numbers as a gauge, but broken gear boxes is one of the few consistent things that come up with the Yamahas. OTOH, of everyone I know personally who has one, I know of only one who has had gear trouble. I think it's something that depends a great deal on the rider. That doesn't necessarily say that you've done anything wrong, because some of that can be a result of using lots of power over rough ground and having the wheel bouncing around at full throttle. Tough on things.

• BBrown626

Posted August 26, 2011 - 06:04 PM

There aren't as many KXF's as YZF's, so I don't know if it's fair to use absolute numbers as a gauge, but broken gear boxes is one of the few consistent things that come up with the Yamahas. OTOH, of everyone I know personally who has one, I know of only one who has had gear trouble. I think it's something that depends a great deal on the rider. That doesn't necessarily say that you've done anything wrong, because some of that can be a result of using lots of power over rough ground and having the wheel bouncing around at full throttle. Tough on things.

Agree. I weigh 215. My '04's gearbox broke at full throttle through some big whoops at Milestone. The '10 had to have broken during my ride at Cahuilla. It has a long uphill section where I may have used 5th gear when I was trying to pass Brett Metcalf... or at least keep him in sight a little longer. When I heard a noise from my engine it was on a sighting lap on Pala's national track. I didn't get out of third gear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.