rebuilt?

16 replies to this topic
  • RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:01 PM

i just got a 1999 yzf400 on trade. the guy i traded of course told me that the bike had a fresh top end... seems to be the norm for anyone trying to get rid of a bike. so naturally i didnt believe him. anyways the bike ran fine, no clacks, no grinds, shifts well, starts well, etc.. so i traded him. i was looking at the motor and there are two numbers or codes reading 52r34 and 1368 engraved on either side of the head. not the factory cast numbers either but engraved by hand. also i noticed the number 35 engraved the same way on the cam guides. does anyone know what these numbers mean if anything? could the top end or head been rebuilt at some point, not necessarily when he had it?

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:14 PM

The numbers were probably meant for identifying who's head it was from being sent in. But thats just a guess... The previous owner of the bike I have now said it hasn't been tore down or anything but when I went to change out the cam chain, the cam cap bolts had socket marks on them. so someone had the cams out at some point in time. But after about 275 hours on it, never had a problem with regular maintenance and checking every bolt and valve clearances. These yamaha's will run forever being properly maintained

• RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:19 PM

that would make sense. im not really worried about it, just curious. as the bike runs fine. thanks for the reply

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:23 PM

As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol. and not a problem, just tryin to help a brotha out :eek:

• RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:34 PM

i dont know how common it is for a thumper to grenade the top end since im new to the 4 stroke scene but i always liked to throw a new piston at my two strokes before something really bad happened. nikisil's are expensive.

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:39 PM

i dont know how common it is for a thumper to grenade the top end since im new to the 4 stroke scene but i always liked to throw a new piston at my two strokes before something really bad happened. nikisil's are expensive.

Its not very common at all, well it is if you beat your ride and neglect proper maintenance. :eek:

• RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:44 PM

thats good advise to everyone! also you got any suggestions on a stripped out oil drain plug on the motor. found that little treasure when i changed the oil friday.

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 14, 2011 - 06:48 PM

well there's a few different ways. You can re-tap it and put a slightly larger plug in it, or just get it helicoiled. I've even heard of someone using jb weld to put the threads back in it(don't do this). But the best way is to get it helicoiled... Wait, is it the plug or the hole where the plug goes in? lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:08 PM

the hole

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ok, go with previous post, and disregard the question lol.. And I don't know why I asked that, the bolts are steel and the case is aluminum :eek:

• RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:26 PM

cool i'll probably tap it. i dont care much for heli's. thank you for your help.:eek:

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Go for it. Good advice would be to just gob grease on the tap to catch the filings. But that doesn't matter if the case has been split already. I made the mistake of tapping american threads in one of my old bikes :eek:

• RocketRoss57

Posted August 14, 2011 - 07:47 PM

oh shoot

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2011 - 08:39 PM

The engraved numbers are done at the factory. All of mine have had them, and none have been sent out for repair. They don't mean anything to anyone outside the Yamaha plant.

• RocketRoss57

Posted August 15, 2011 - 05:00 AM

thanks gray

• bnichols87ss

Posted August 15, 2011 - 04:49 PM

The engraved numbers are done at the factory. All of mine have had them, and none have been sent out for repair. They don't mean anything to anyone outside the Yamaha plant.

There it is! thanks for clearing that up Gray! :eek:

• Ryan426

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:58 PM

+1 on the helicoil. stripped mine last summer. No probs with the helicoil. Cost me $25. But, Get some one who has done it before. Some minor drilling involved, careful drilling.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.