New 2003 WR450 owner

5 replies to this topic
  • Buckwheat816

Posted August 13, 2011 - 05:04 PM

I just got a good deal on a low hour 03' and had a question about the electric starter/woodruff key thing....I know it's been beat to a thousand deaths but my question is different.

I just removed the gear and bearing assembly under the small side cover that is held in place with two 10mm bolts. My thinking is that since the starter no longer has connection to the crank via this gear that a backfire would be harmless. I also removed the battery so the starter would not get any juice and spin accidentally.

I did this thinking it would be good insurance until I can get the 04' and later gear set/cover. Has anyone done this? The bike starts fine with the kicker and as far as I can tell, the crankcase gear that was normally meshed with the gear I removed will be fine otherwise.

Thoughts?

• BajaFool

Posted August 14, 2011 - 12:21 PM

I can't imagine why it would be a problem. I was one of the first members of thumper talk to install this mod on my 2003wr. The mod is the solution to preventing the expensive repair bill that will result if your motor backfires mandate breaks urge side case.

• BajaFool

Posted August 14, 2011 - 12:26 PM

It seems that my typing went wacko on my last sentence above. It should read "...backfires and breaks your side case."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lcpl0331

Posted August 14, 2011 - 04:24 PM

I just bought another '03 yesterday with very few miles on it and the starter sounds just like my 1st '03 that had the factory fix done to it.

Does the woodruf key issue apply to ALL '03's? or was it something caught by the factroy early and fixed for models made later in the run?

• Buckwheat816

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:24 PM

I just bought another '03 yesterday with very few miles on it and the starter sounds just like my 1st '03 that had the factory fix done to it.

Does the woodruf key issue apply to ALL '03's? or was it something caught by the factroy early and fixed for models made later in the run?

It's my understanding that yes, it affects all 03's. The previous owner of mine stated that he had the "woodruff key repair" done but the starter idler gear (the real problem) and cover is not the updated unit. Until I can get (afford) the updated parts, I decided to "gut" the idler gear assembly that bridges the starter to the crank and just kick start her in the meantime.

So what does your started sound like anyway? Is there a distinct noise that the factory fix makes?

• Lcpl0331

Posted August 15, 2011 - 03:14 AM

it was noisy with a loud clank if it didn't fire. A friend had on '05 that was much quieter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.